Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Power trim problems

I'm having problems with my power trim. It will go down but not up. I can hear the relay clicking, so I assume that's the problem. Is it easy to swap them out? It was on my old evinrude but I'm not sure where they are on this motor. The model number is: e75dplin, bought in nov. 2011. It is tiller steer, but neither trim switch will make the motor go up.
-
Thanks
Cjm
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Power trim problems

Your trim relay is a sealed assembly containing both relays and has to be replaced if either one is faulty. First make sure that you do not have a wiring or a connection problem.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Bill, I was able to get  the trim working by just wiggling wires around and tapping on the relay.  Will a relay work intermittently or do they go out all together?  Could a bad connection in the tiller handle cause this problem or would that just effect the switch on the tiller handle.  not sure i want to mess with the wiring in the emgine compartment, not much room in there.

-

thanks

cjm

Highlighted
Admiral

A relay can become intermittent but loose wiring or poor connections can give the same symptoms. It is recommended that you see your dealer to diagnose and repair the trim situation.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

I think I found the problem.  Seems to be a bad connection where the blue and green trim wires run into a plastic connector. (looks like it might be a fuse holder)  The wires run out the other end.  Are there in-line fuses on the trim?  I tried squeezing the two plastic halves together, but its hard to reach.  It didn't seem  to be loose, but trim is work now.  Hope that solved the problem. 

-

thanks

cjm

Highlighted
Admiral

No fuses for the trim. Corrosion inside of a connector is a common situation. Also heck for loose or deformed pins.

Highlighted
Mate

I'm glad that you fixed yours, but I have a similiar problem.
I tried switching the relays like you did, without success. Here's what I did:
I removed both relays. With power to the fuse box, when I plug in the right side relay , it clicks. no sound when I plugged in the left side. However, when I try to trim down with the trottle toggle switch, the left one clicks.
Then I disconnected both relays and did the same thing, switching the relays. Same result. No movement of the engine whatsoever. Stuck in the "up" position.
Since both relays "click" in the same way , are both still good? Are both bad?
What might be causing the relay plug to be "hot", clicking as soon as I plug it in on the right side?
Evinrude 150 hp. Skeeter boat , mid to late 80s.

Highlighted
Mate

Did you solve this problem? I have a similar issue on a 1998 Evinrude 115. Trim works intermittently, can wiggle wires to get working again.
Highlighted
Mate

Highlighted
Mate

Hello all I purchased a 2006 150 Etec tilt relay was missing
And the limiter switch was cut and shorted(original connector in tact). I replaced the Relay, Tilt Trim Unit repaired the shorted limit switch wires. Where’s the power to the switch coming from ?