Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Price quote has possibly gone up... Something off here or is it just me?

So long story but here are some details.  Signed a contract with a boat builder a few months ago.  We agreed on a 135 HO over the Evinrude 115 and Mercury 115 and 150.  The boat builder had engine quotes from a dealer he buys his engines from.  

When the ten year promotion started, I sent the money to the builder (after discussing it with him) and he contacted his dealer to purchase the 135 HO. and secure the ten year warranty option.

So the builder tells me that the dealer told him that he would have to requote him because the promotion had changed and suggested the reason being that 'nothing is really free.'

The original quote was in effect, as the boat isn't even being started for a couple of months...

Not impressed.  The builder is hesitant to deal with another dealer (likely for personal reasons) but I have lost trust with the dealer and really not very happy with the builder at this point.  Dont see how this should be my problem.

I don't want to play the 'signed contract card' unless I have to as I am sure it will affect the buyer/builder relationship.  Also don't want to 'cut off my nose to spite my face' but thinking of going with the Mercury just to make a point.

Admiral

Re: Price quote has possibly gone up... Something off here or is it just me?

Your concerns are with the boat builder and the selling dealer. There were price changes during the year that may or may not be a factor in your situation.

Because you mentioned a contract with the boatbuilder, we would advise that you seek qualified legal assistance to study the contract and to inform you of your options.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Copy.  Just a bit of a bummer.  Had my sights set on the 135 HO.  Will figure it out.

Captain

Evinrude promotional offers do sometimes vary on what rigging and accessories are included but Evinrude does not "jack up the prices" to give a longer warranty.
Usually prices are set at the first of the physical year, July 1st and do not change during the year. This year there was a rare situation where Evinrude had to have a price increase in November due to increased material costs. Probably due to the newly instituted import tarriffs in the US. As a dealer we had the same situation where we quoted an engine price in October and the customer came back in December to order an engine.
Captain

Thanks for that.  Ya these tariff fights kinda suck.  I would have to look at my messages - pretty sure the dealer told me in an email he had this 135 HO in stock (received in October).  Not that it matters much, guess I will just wait to see what the new improved price comes in at.  I am kinda thinking (what seems to make sense) at this point is that the builder was just going to use the promotions 'free rigging' and then charge me for it again (as there is a cost line item on the contract for gauges and rigging).  This is about the only thing that makes sense as he has also quoted Mercury engines (and to my understanding they don't come with any free rigging).  

Mods: if this thread is not appropriate please remove.  

Captain

The question of the day is, How much more is the increase and  since I have bought my share of boats in the past, I only by the hull from the boat builder than take it to my favorite dealer and let them install the engine. That way you will have excellent service when you need it.

Highlighted
Captain

I will keep you posted at what the price increase is.

My understanding from having talked to dealers is that if a person chooses the 'extended warranty' over the 'free rigging' option, that the free rigging would cost about $1200 to buy seperately.  I don't know how accurate that is.

This builder would not build a boat without engine/controls.  I get his argument and concerns but agree that I would have almost preferred in hindsight to buy the engine from my local shop.  

Captain

As a dealer we also ran into price increases from the builder of the boats we sell due to unexpected price increases in Aluminum.
You should be able to read the details of the current 10 year warranty promotion on evinrude.com. I believe the current offer is 10 year/1500 hours or 5 year/1000 hours with free rigging for the US and Canada, expept Florida.
I have heard stories in automotive and marine of dealers giving preferred service to "their customers". As an Evinrude selling and servicing dealer I will do my best to help any Evinrude owner.
Captain

Well, good news for me, as the builder says he will honor the contract price and ensure the engine gets registered with the 10 yr warranty promotion.

He said something about the gauge package he had originally been quoted on is no longer available.  Does that make any sense?  Is there a gauge / gauge package that was offered last year that is no longer offered?

I started looking at the Merc engines, thinking this offer may go sideways.  Thank goodness it didn't cause I just couldn't get excited about the Merc 'Fourstroke Series' engine... 

Captain

What would be considered the "basic gauge" for G2 engines was a square 3.5" CS (color screen). It has been replaced by a 3.5" round digital gauge called "Nautilus". Basically the same gauge but with a round face to fit more applications. Possibly your dealer was looking at stepping up to the 4.3" CTS gauge.