Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Problem with ETEC Cold Starting

I have a 2006 Ranger Z21 with a 225HO ETEC.
In the last 3 months I have had numerous problems with the thing starting...
It's always the first time you crank the motor... sometimes it will take up to 6-8 cranks to start to idle...

I have motor trimmed halfway down , all way down... gas tank 1 from gas tank 2...same issue...

Have had the motor to the nearby dealer and they found some issues but I still have starting problem..

The funny thing is it will run great the rest of the day or night... after the first startup....

It might take two cranks every now and then but usually starts right up... and runs great at top end and low throttle...

Just that first cold crank is killing my trust with these motors...
It's just embarrassing to be in a 120 boat TX and be sitting there cranking up an ETEC 6-8 times before it start's and idles...

Here is what the OEM Tech did :

1st trip they replaced starter... said it was dragging and causing fouling that caused the problems... ( same when I tried)

2nd trip they replaced a couple of fuel lines that were leaking air causing my idling problems...( motor would die at just idle around the dock trying to load and unload boat )

3rd trip to dealer coming up...( just hate to drive 1 hr each way to take boat in to not have the motor fixed )

I don't want to name the dealer on here ... He seems to be trying his best toget it fixed...

but they just can't seem to run down the problem..I hope they get it fixed this next time... My extended warranty is going to run out next month...

Anybody out there experiencing the same type of problems?

Or any help from a OEM Technician would be helpful...

Thanks 

Admiral

Re: Problem with ETEC Cold Starting

Check your battery for the correct or larger capacity in Cold Crank Amps per the specs in your owners manual. Make sure there are no wing nuts on the battery terminals, only hex nuts and lockwashers.

Check the plugs for the proper gap and install them back in the same holes to keep the indexing intact. That is important.

Make sure to squeeze the fuel primer ball in the upright position (Arrow facing up) until rock hard.

Do not advance the throttle at all, just turn the key. IF the start and die problem continues, then see your authorized dealer.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Battery good

Plugs good ( less than one month old / dealer installed )

always start with foot off the Hot Foot in the floor

Primer bulb always pumped after lowering engine

always run Non-ethenol gas... and I still use the Outboard Stabil just in case...

I just hope they can fix this ... I'm taking it in next week for them to try again...

Now it's getting worse... I ran about 10 miles down lake saturday night.... after I fished this one place for about 1 hr...
I went to start the motor... and it took about 5 cranks to get it going...and I had to let it finish idling for about 1 min before it smoothed out and I could put it in gear...

This starting problem has been very strange... seems like every 5-6 times out fishing and it taking the normal 4-5 cranks to get it started ... you have that one day it takes 8 cranks to get it started... .and then you will have that 1 time out of 10 that it actually cranks on the first or second crank...

I have tried both tanks to see if it's a fuel restriction problem... and it does the same on both tanks..

I'm betting it has to be a fuel restriction problem somewhere... because once it's running ... it runs fine.... hole shot , mid range , top end all are great...

It did have an idle problem.... but dealer fixed that.... ( swollen fuel line ) Ethenol damaged line.... pretty sure..

Gosh I love my ETEC and I'm and Evinrude man to the end.....

I just wish my Etec mechanic would figure out the problem...

Admiral

You might want to talk to Evinrude Customer Service to start a paper trail of your problem if your dealer is having a hard time fixing the problem. You can call 847-689-7090 with the motor's serial number.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for the info..
I wil do that for sure...

Skipper

I noticed another problem I forgot to mention...
It had only happened maybe once or twice...but did it twice the other day fishing...

I start the motor and take off...once on plane I start to raise the motor and before I can get to half way of trimmed up position the RPM's are already over 5k.....

Normally I can barley get 5600 RPM's fully trimmed up with the Jack Plate raised 1-2 inches...

Seems like the RPM needle jumps 1-1.5k then goes back to the normal thing...
You would assume the motor would sound like it was reving up ... but the sound stays the same...

normally with my motor trimmed halfway up the thing will be at around 4500RPM.... not 5500-6500RPMs....

Does this sound like a wiring problem or an EMM issue....

Like I said it only has done this maybe 4-5 times now in 2yrs of me owning the boat....

Usually you have to just trim down the motor and then next time you start and go... it's fine....

Strange ...

Skipper

Well, I would like to say that my local dealer has fixed the problem.
I had a cracked #1 injector...
When he took it off it fell into two pieces in his hands...
Was my problem the whole time...
With work I won't be able to test the boat until this weekend.. but they think that was the culprit... I think it sounds like they got it fixed.. I will let you know if this starting problem still persists...after I run it a couple more outings...

thanks for all the responses though..
Skipper

well, I would have posted this earlier.... but I'm still in shock...and dis-belief...

Problem still exists my motor..

Dealer has replaced the Starter ( it was sounding like it was dragging a little..) Only because of the excessive starting I'm having to do in the mornings...

They then found some hoses that were swelled up... causing air leaking into system... changed those...

They then found a broken injector #1 cyclinder

They then found a broken piece on the air fuel seperator  ? ? don't know if that is correct term for it.. replaced this...

Still same problem.... (Cold starting) it will take 4-5 starts before it will continue to idle....

I start it and it dies...3-4 times then it finally starts and keeps idling...

This weekend was very cool... about 40 degrees... I got it started and it kept idling on the 5 try... I went and fished my first hole.... stayed 1 hr..... went to leave and it took 4 starts again.... 1-3... it would die as soon as I put it in gear...

went to 2nd hole and fished... It started on 1st try when I left this spot and did pretty much the same the rest of the day...

crank and idle on first try...

the dealer is going to get the ETEC local rep involved this week to see if they can find the problem...

My major concern is now my extended warranty ran out on Sept. 18..and I have had it in the shop 5 times now for the same problem... ( cold starting ).... I purchased this rig when it was 3yrs old from the original owner... so the extended warranty is thru a 2nd party... not Evinrude...

But shouldn't they still cover this since I have been dealing with the same issue since April.... of this year...

and PLEASE..... does anybody have a clue as to what may be the problem with this ETEC 225 HO and it being so flaky with cold starting ? ? ?

Mechanic says it shows no codes at all on the computer when they are trying to start it... and after you get it started tht first time... it normally starts the rest of the day on the first try.... this past weekend when it was cold was the first time it did it the first 2-3 times I started it...so I feel it's getting worse ...

I'm really starting to loose my faith ...

Admiral

I'm really sorry to hear about your continuing problems. Call customer service with your serial number - since they moved to the Wisconsin plant, call 262-884-5993 - and explain your ongoing problem and your concerns about the warranty . Like I mentioned earlier, keep a paper trail.  Having a factory rep check out your motor is a good thing, but you may have to be patient as they have to cover a large territory plus do many other jobs for the factory including trade shows, dealer training, field testing, etc.

Highlighted
Captain

Have them check the capacitor.  Mine went out, was leaking and shorting out.  Messed up the EMM which they replaced.  Been doing just great ever since.  Just my thoughts.