Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Problem with motor dying-Evinrude E Tec 115hp

I purchased a Evinrude E Tec 115 hp from Jasper Outboard Sales and Service back in 2009.The service techs there installed the motor on my boat. This boat now has approx. 140 hrs as I use this boat to get to my brush pile as I mainly fish for crappie and don't travel very far to get there. This year I had a problem with the motor not getting up to speed so took it back to Jasper Outboard Sales and service.They said it acted like it was not getting gas. They cleaned the fuel injectors and charged me 568.00 for labor and parts. This was on 4/21/17. I brought the boat home and launched it and it ran fine to my boat house. Did not use the boat after it was brought home but did start and run or idle once a week to lubricate the water pump impeller. On 9th month ( September ) of 2017 I was going fishing and got maybe 300 yards from my boat house and the motor roughly shut down and would not restart. Used my trolling motor to get the boat back to the boat stall.Took the boat back to Jasper Outboard Sales and Service and again they said it acted like it was not getting gas so they changed out the fuel pump and charged me 697.42 for parts and labor. This week I go out to go fishing in my boat and get less then 100 yards from my boat house and the motor again roughly dies and will not restart. I am very frustrated with the dealer and have no faith in them getting to the real problem with my engine. Please respond to this E- Mail. Looking back over the comments on this website I see a lot of comments similar to the problem I am having.

Admiral

Re: Problem with motor dying-Evinrude E Tec 115hp

Many running and then quitting problems are fuel related, especially with less-often used motors. Today's gasoline degrades quickly and breaks down into corrosive chemical mixtures and gummy deposits. From your description of the dealer's repairs, it appears to be a stale fuel problem. It is possible that it could be an intermittent component that is action up. Ask your dealer to go for a test run with you to verify that the the engine is running correctly after they service it.

It is also advisable to start with fresh gasoline and use the Evinrude 2+4 Fuel Conditioner at the storage mixture at all times.

If your dealer cannot fix the problem, he can contact Evinrude Dealer Support for assistance. You can also email  to  brp.care@brp.com with the serial number, dealer name, and engine history.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Ok then how come the Evinrude E-Tecs are having this problem? i had a 2000 Yamaha before this motor used same gas and never had a problem other  then the carburators fouled one time as the boat sit up. I start the E- Tec at least once a week and let it idle for 15 minutes or so to lubricate the water pump impeller. Only when i try to take off does the motor die and very rough dieing like hitting bottom. Personally i think the E- Tecs have a lot of hidden problems as hundreds of reviews say they are having problems with this motor. May be time to contact a lawyer on consumer affairs about this. 

Captain

All brands of carbureted engines were more tolerant of bad fuel and all modern fuel injected engines need clean fuel. The rough idling could be fuel but the "roughly shutting down" sounds more like electrical issues. Ask your dealer what the fuel pressure readings were and if there were any engine codes.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

There is no need to run and to lubricate a water pump during storage.

All brands of outboard motors have fuel related problems due to deposits or corrosion when used infrequently, especially without any type of fuel stabilizer. Ethanol enhanced fuels, E-10, are even more prone to problems.

Not being there to test and inspect your motor, we are only giving you a guess as to your drivability problem based on experience and today's chemical makeup of gasoline. Your dealer technician is the one to explain to you what was repaired and how to prevent a reoccurrence.

When I worked in dealer shops that repaired several brands, every spring we spent most of our time repairing  various motors including Yamaha and Suzuki fuel systems, both with carburetors and EFI components. The vapor separator tanks (VST) would gum up and the varnish deposits would jam the expensive electric fuel pumps. With carburetors, at times the aluminim corrosion was so bad that the float bowls and sometimes complete carbs had to be replaced. The individual fuel injectors would gum up also and prevent the motor from developing full power or accelerating the boat properly.  Boat owners who did not properly protect their fuel systems paid dearly for deposit removal in their carbs or fuel injections.

Often we had to clean the same carbs in the spring and again near Labor Day as the boat was only used for the main summer holidays and sat unused for the remainder of the summer weekends.  Those owners often bad-mouthed the brand of motor on their boat because of the expensive service costs required to clean out the unprotected fuel systems each time the boat was used.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

The reason must be sought in the oil supply. The oil pipeline may be airborne, dirt may have got into the oil system, the controller must also be tested for the supply and dosing of the oil. It is not clear why you paid money if you did not eliminate the cause of the malfunctioning motor.

Skipper

Im having similar problems with a 2013 200. After driving it for about 10 mins at idle it just dies. Last time it started making clicking sounds before it died. I suspected the gauge wiring so disconnected the fuel gauge and the emm top connection and it started after 5 mins. The wiring on these has to be perfect or the emm will shut them down. Also check for water in the fuel filter.

Captain

The clicking sound you heard is almost certaily the fuel injectors.  They do that when they are not full of pressurized fuel.  Of course, when there is no fuel the engine will die.  You should go through your engine's fuel delivery system from the tank to the high pressure pump.  Check for air leaks or restrictions.

Admiral

Running 10 to 20 minutes then having the engine quit is often an electric fuel pump that starts to seize. Monitoring the fuel pressure as well as fuel delivery to the motor can confirm the diagnosis

Skipper

I think this may be the issue, if the pump stops then the injectors would click, then she dies. I pump the bulb then wait 5 mins and she sometimes will turn over after 10 attempts. Thanks.