Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: Problem with motor dying-Evinrude E Tec 115hp

Don't overlook a fuel problem with the boat causing the motor to run out of gas and giving you the same symptoms.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

She died after10 mins, then got it started and ran for 2 hours. Its probably happened 3 out of 10 trips. Also a slight hesitation when coming up on plane at 2500 rpm. Small fuel filter issue?
Admiral

As with any intermittent situation, you have to test the fuel delivery from its source, gas tank, to the injectors and everything in between. Starting with new filters and a thorough visual inspection are the preliminary steps.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Gregg200,

If you have a V-4 engine, the problem could be the pulse hose fittings for the lift pump. There were some instances of the fittings coming loose as the engine warms up, then get stuck again as the engine cools down. Check firmness of fittings with hot engine.

Captain

Gregg200HO. Just noticed you have a 200HP. Nipple fitting problem does not apply to your engine.
Mate

I have a problem with my evinrude 115 hp build 1975. When I'm go fishing I'll start the engine and shift forward and reverse. They it very good. But when i go to the water and I'll shift to run but they just run idle when i speed it not go but the engine it go louder. So what can i do .please help me fix the problems. Thank you so muchs
Admiral

You have a very old motor there and possibly more than one thing is affecting it.

The basic troubleshooting techniques are required, compression, ignition testing, and fuel system evaluation. Correct linkage operation has to be determined also.

If everything checks out as it should (per the factory service manual) check the carbs for varnished or restrictied jets and passageways.

Mate

You find the problem OP? 

I had same symptoms on a 2007 engine and went through all the fuel troubleshooting, turned out to be a compression washer gizmo on the TPS (throttle position sensor) that had popped off. The TPS was being held down by the other one on it's other side so would run fine until it rattled enough for the spring on the shaft to snap back into position. It was a very harsh stop when this happened. When I finally found it I ziptied that sucker down on the water and it ran beautifully the rest of the weekend, such a great feeling. Fixed it proper the next week.

Captain

Johnny, As I understand your description your engine runs shifts and revs up on the flush hose. In the water when you put it in gear the engine "gets louder", this sounds like the engine is speeding up but not moving the boat. If this is the case then likely you have a slipping propeller hub.