Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Problems with 30 hp evinrude

I purchased a new Evinrude 30 h.p. (2018) this summer (2019).  Ran great for a few hours and then I had trouble starting it.  Checked a few things and it started and ran until I left my cottage 4 days later. Never thought much about it other than it was annoying.  We share our cottage and my brother-in-law took over. He loved the motor initially and then he called me to say he couldn't get it started and it would stop on him out on the lake. It would eventually start but took some time. I had not told him about my experience as I thought it was a one time thing.  We are both over 70 and can't afford to get stranded on our lake. Took it in to Plummer's marina in Pembroke ON CAN (where it bought and had it installed).  They did every test they could and found nothing. They seem to suggest that since they can't find the problem I have to live with it.  After not receiving a call back from the service manager I emailed the owner (I think he is the owenr).  He was apologetic about the lack of return call but said they really had done all they could and no they did not refund or replace new engines that are not dependable. I wish they had found a problem and fixed it but now that they have not it does seem to be mostly my problem. They are connecting me now with an Evinrude tech and they hope that will solve the problem.  I specifically bought a new engine and an evinrude becuase I have owned them in the past and I didn't want the potential problems of a used engine. Now I have more problems than I can tolerate in a brand new engine. Any suggestions?

Admiral

Re: Problems with 30 hp evinrude

We are sorry to hear of your unhappy experiences with your outboard which should have been enjoyable.

The fact that the dealer is contacting a tech rep is admirable and that should take care of the engine for you. If not, please email the engine serial number, dealer name, and a what your wrote here to 
http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

Please accept our apologies for the troubles that you have had.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Re: Problems with 30 hp evinrude

30HP is a great engine, sorry about the loss. Water intrusion is covered if you have insurance as it’s not mechanical failure. If you do speak to the insurance company as most the time it is a accident.