Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Prop selection for 06 250's

I have a 26FS Regulator with twin 250s. The previous owner propped it with 14.25x21 cyclones. My top end is around 5200 rpm which seems low. He put these on for better bite in rough water. Are these the best options our should I consider another?

Thanks Todd
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Prop selection for 06 250's

[ Edited ]

That is too low of an rpm, change them to 19" versions as that should theoretically get your rpms up to about 5600 and will make your boat much more responsive and nicer to drive when offshore.

Also you may improve performance by raising the motors up. See if your anti-ventilation plates are visible when running at speed in smooth water. If they are submerged, raise your engine up about 2 holes.

If you can, try a pair of TBX Rebel props in the 17" , 18", or 19" sizes.  Boats perform differently with various propeller designs so there is a chance you may pick up some speed with them.

For more information, download this propeller selection booklet:

http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/en-US/PropSelectionGuide_766315.pdf

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Prop selection for 06 250's

Thanks for the info, Engines look good as far as the height goes. I will see if I can pick up some used 19" Cyclones and give it a try. Last year was the first year with the boat so I was still trying to get a handle on performance. My RPMs seemed low campared to engine information and I did not have the economy I was expecting. The Regulator is tough it does not like to go slow, but you can't always run hard.