Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Prop selection for Evinrude E-TEC 90 DSL and Boston Whaler Montauk

Repowered this spring with  2012 90 E-TEC DSL on my 17' Bostin Whaler Montauk. Old power was Johnson Ocean Pro 90. Found I could not use old prop which was an aluminum 13.25 X 17 -  Could only get to 4000 RPM.  Put on 13.25 X 15 and now get 4300 RPM (32 MPH). I think I should be getting at least 5000.  Any suggestions?

Admiral

Re: Prop selection for Evinrude E-TEC 90 DSL and Boston Whaler Montauk

That is not good performance from your rig. My suggestion would be to contact your dealer and have him check the engine mounting height, propeller condition, rigging, and do a water test with you with his laptop connected to check out the motor and the accuracy of your tachometer.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

WHat ever happened with this?

Admiral

CT,

This is your second question asking about what happened to the original poster and his boating situation.

As time goes by you may realize that many people come here to E-NATION (and to other sites)  to ask a question or to lodge a complaint then never come back to fill us in with what transpired. We have no way of knowing if they followed our advice, if the problem was resolved, or they were just  "hit and run" types never to return.  It's the nature of the internet with its anonymity and convenience.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Gentlemen,

I have exactly the same issue.

I live in Germany and I ride a 1400lbs fiber (dry weight) boat on the Rhine river:

I bought the boat a few months ago, it is brand new and is equiped with a brand new Evinrude E-TEC DSLAA 90PS engine 2013. I have the same propeller on the engine and I can only get around 4200 RPM maximum!

Here is my propeller: Johnson/Evinrude OMC OEM prop 13x17 propeller 765183

I am now looking for a new propeller. Any advice would be appreciated.

The boat I bought is new from Polland and is not easy to get in touch with the dealer.

Thank you

Admiral

HI,

Finding the correct propeller is often a trial and error proposition.

If your tachometer is accurate, you may need something like an SSP 13" propeller to be close to the recommended rpm of 5000 to 5200.

Mate

The engine was new, the boat as well. From day 1 I couldn´t obtain more than 4200 rpm. Do you think the engine is set wrong? The oil I am using is XD50. I can not get in touch with the dealer, I live in Germany and the boat I bought it from Polland. This is the boat I have: Olympia 570 Holiday (http://www.olympia-yacht.pl/main.php5)

The speed was meassured with the built in GPS from Lowrance Elite 4 DSI and with the smartphone. Both are showing the same speed so I doubt it might be a tachometer thing.

Cheers

Roman

Admiral

[ Edited ]

You basically have a 17-1/2 foot boat with 90hp on the back. Most boats of that size and power use either a 13" or 15" pitch propeller depending on the boat speed capability and engine rpm.

Very often the motor is mounted too low on the transom and raising it up one or two holes at a time may help the performance and increase the top rpm. Like the propeller choice, it is a trial and error proposition.

Highlighted
Skipper

I had the same problem with my 90 E-TEC it was only httin 4,200 rpm? my boat is a polar kraft SC179 (17.9ft) i took it back to my dealer they put a different prop a 13.5 x 15 now it runs 5,300-5,500 right were it should! they said alot of times with a new boat the motor comes with a standard prop recomended for the boat but it's not always the correct prop? easy fix for me! sounds like it could be you have the wrong prop too?

Mate

Thank you for your feedback.

To give you an update. I bought and replaced the old 17inch propeller with a simillar, also aluminium but 15 inch propeller. Max RPM obtained: 4700, much better than before. I also ordered and received a 13 inch aluminium propeller. i will have to mount in on the boat these days and do the same test. I will keep you posted.

Cheers

Roman