Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Prop size and pitch

Have my Johnson 250 (2000) on a 24ft boat. 

I am running a 14 1/2 x 19 prop, but with load it takes a long time to plane and the rpm doesn't go over 4200 rpm. 

I found a 15x17 prop that i am thinking on trying..

Will the 15X17 make a difference? With what will this make a difference? rpm? top end?

Thanks for your help..

Admiral

Re: Prop size and pitch

[ Edited ]

Your motor is designed to be propped in the 5500-6000 rpm range. On a large boat such as yours that is very important.

Chances are you may need a 15" prop or something close to it.  First make sure the motor is in a good state of tune, has good compression, and is putting out its full power.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Yes.. i had some issues with the engine, but i got it figured out.. (blown head gasket)

Without load, it planes fast and it reaches the 5500 rpm range.. But with load it's a different story..

That's why the question about the 15 x 17 prop... Will this hurt the performance (when with load) or will this in any way make it better..

Admiral

If you are actually getting 5500 rpm with a 19", then a 17" will help when you are loaded down.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.