Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Question about mark on cylinder walls

I was changing the spark plugs on my 150 today and decided to shine a light down into the sprk plug holes. I noticed the lower cylinder had a back line in the same exact spot as the other cylinder. It looked look you took a pencil and a ruler and made a straight line. The walls looked good and a was amazed at the amount of cross hachting these engine have. The mark did not look like a groove just a mark, It was odd it was in the exact location as the other side. All spark plugs looked good and the same. Has this been seen before? I tried to take a picture but could not get it to come out

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Question about mark on cylinder walls

take a compression test on all the cylinders if you are concerned

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Bill

I finally got my phone just right to take a picture of the mark on the cylinder walls so you could take a look at it and see if you have seen it before. I do not have the tool to do a compression check but I may take it to the dealer if you think I need to. 

http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w621/ocracokenc/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-04/0F9989D7-1DE9-4046-9573...

Highlighted
Admiral

Can't make out anything clearly.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Hello Bill

I am suprised you cant see the black line in the upper right part of the picture of the wall. I talked with a BRP Platinum certified dealer and the mentioned sometime the " locator" pins can be just a tad long and can mark a cylinder wall but they want to check it out. Can you tell me where I stand with my warranty E150DPXAAC  Ser#5380433, am I still under BRP or B.E.S.T, if not can you tell me when the B.E.S.T warranty kicks in as I think it has a $50 deductable. thanks again

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

I can see a black line but the image is not in good focus so it is impossible to be certain that it  is a groove in the cylinderwall from a dislocated pin or a harmless carbon  mark that is from the piston ring gap. If it is not a groove cut into the cylinder, no worries.

What is your model and serial number?

Highlighted
Captain

Model Number:E150DPXAAInvoice: Product Line:OUTBOARD
Type of Use:PLEASUREPDI Checklist Complete?:YESPurchase Type:NEW BOAT PACKAGE
Owner:SCOTT  XXXXXXXXXXPreferred Language:ENGLISH
 XXXXXXXXXXXXXX  
 UNITED STATES  

Purchase/Warranty Information

Purchase Date:05/23/13Standard Warranty Expiration Date:05/27/16  
Delivery Date:05/28/13B.E.S.T. Expiration Date:05/27/18  
2013 SPRING BEST COMPLETE 06/04/13Cert:XXXXXX