Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
Accepted Solution

RPM drop 2012 115

Had 300 hr service completed in early spring now this season can't get engine to 5400 were it ran for the last three plus years. 5000 is top rpm, change prop to next pitch size down and no rpm gain. Boat and its load has not changed and hull is clean. Fuel filter changed and 4 plus 1 conditioner ran always with supreme fuel and XD100 oil. Did notice when got back from service slot of black exhaust coming from engine for first few minutes. Please help
Admiral

Re: RPM drop 2012 115

There are many things that can cause a loss of power. On the 115 models there is also an exhaust tuning valve that could be sticking or stuck in the low speed position and give the same symptom. See your dealer for testing and for troubleshooting the problem.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

[ Edited ]

Searunner

I have the same engine and have learned a lot from this forum.

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/categories

Look in the V4 category.

Some suggestions:

1) You have been overproped - 5400rpm not enough. Engine should reach as close to 6000rpm as possible at WOT with full load. This is important to prevent carbon buildup and other problems.

2) The V4s are the ONLY E-Tecs with an exhaust valve. It is poorly designed (no bearing on the shaft), not serviceable, and prone to seizing from lack of use (slow running below 4500rpm). If it is seized you have to replace the entire engine mid-section. Latest V4s have added a grease nipple to help prevent seizing - but not our 2012 models. If it's stuck, your engine rpm will be reduced.

Check the valve is not stuck. 

If it's OK - you can add a grease nipple yourself or your dealer can. I'm not a mechanic but I did my own. Drill bits, thread tap, and nipple less than $10. Instructions here from an E-Tec dealer. 

Instructions here:

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1292052392&postcount=42&forum=136484

Use a goood quality waterproof marine grease. Grease every year.

Additional tips to reduce problems.

Check prop and engine height and make sure you get 5700-6000rpm.

Try to give your engine a run at 4500rpm+ every time you use it. That will open the exhaust valve and help prevent it from seizing. Or "run it like you stole it".  

Use XD100 oil only.

Add Carbon Guard if you do a lot of slow trolling/running like I do.

Check and clean/replace the VST filter as part of your annual service.

Al
E_TEC 115hp
Serial No 05333751
Model E115DPLIN
Captain

Blue water bill, I have a E115DSLAF and wondering if my motor has this grease fitting? If so where do I look for this to grease.

Admiral

@JONLOK wrote:

Blue water bill, I have a E115DSLAF and wondering if my motor has this grease fitting? If so where do I look for this to grease.

There is one more letter needed for the complete model number. You will find it printed on the same tag as the serial number located on  the sticker attached to the motor..

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.