Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain
Accepted Solution

Racor water Separator

I upgraded my engine last year from a 50hp Honda (4-Stroke) to a 90 ETEC. I still have my Racor Honda 10 micron water separator on and the E-tec engine is running fine. I ordered out just a new Evinrude filter element which appears to be much larger in size than the existing Honda 50 element I currently have. I believe I will now need to change out the entire mounting unit, to go to the larger Evinrude filter. Is there any risk or problems just staying with the smaller Honda separator filter or would you recommend I move to the larger filter? Any risk to the new E-Tec engine staying with the 50hp filter? Does Evinrude sell a water separator mount for the 90hp E-Tec?

Skipper

Re: Racor water Separator

Great question.  I'm about to plum my fuel system for my Big E 115.  My question is that the install manuel calls for 3/8 in fuel hose but if I install a water seperator, anti-siphing and fuel blub.  These things fit inside the 3/8 hose which reduces flow rate.  Is that going to effect my engine?

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Oconee Rich,

I am not familiar with the Honda filter, can you post a picture of it? what is the length and diameter of the filter cannister and does it have a clear plastic bowl at the bottom of it?

Here are the factory specs for fuel filters -

0.4 in. Hg maximum pressure drop at 20 gph (76 l/hr) flow min.,150 sq. in.(1290 cm2) of filter area

The BRP Evinrude filter assembly #174176 meets these specs.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Flatsjunky,

Evinrude specifies a 3/8" ID hose for fuel. Individual fittings have to be at least 1/4"  ID  and the fuel tank pickup tube has to be a minimum of 5/16" ID. A fuel hose is subject to twists, loops, and turns and that is why the 3/8" ID spec is needed. Fittings and tubes are relatively short straight paths.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Bill,

Thanks for the quick response. I now have a crazy question. I looked at the BRP Evinrude filter assembly #174176 you suggested and it shows just as a fuel filter. Does it also act as a water separator? The Racor shows it's description shows as a Fuel/Water separator. Does the BRP 174176 serve as a water separator too?

30 GPH Racor Fuel/Water Separator Assembly

06178-ZW1-030GH

Utilizes 2 inlet and 2 outlet ports. Ports have 1⁄4-18 NPTF threads. Includes: 2 steel port plugs.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Yes,

The BRP filter acts both as a water separator and as a fuel filter. That is why the cannister is large.

Your Honda filter sounds like small version of Racor's  popular spin on filter that has a 60gph rating and is widely used in the marine industry. The Racor has an painted aluminum mounting bracket that peels and chips very easily. Your best bet is to purchase and install the BRP filter kit then use the Racor conversion kit for it. Racor Part number B32014  

Here is a link to a fuel filter article I did some years ago. It may give you a better explanation of how filters work in your boat.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/fuelFilter.pdf

Skipper

Thanks Bill.  May you find miles of blue water.

Captain

Bill,

I will go with your suggestion on the BRP mount and the Racor filter setup. Appreciate the great article, it was a very good read with great information.

Thanks Again,

OconeeRich