Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Ran Out 1 mile with E-Tec 15 still in water. Won't Start.

I inadvertently left the 15 E-Tec HO (brand new in December, 2015 - less than 100 hrs) in the water and ran back up the river a mile or two at about 25 mph.  Stopped when I realized my mistake and the engine wouldn't start.  Pumped primer bulb, plenty of times, double checked that I was in neutral, double checked kill switch/cord, tried letting it dry out for an hour and nada, nix, zilch.  Starter was working just fine trying to do it's job - just wouldn't turn over. Minor note, next morning there was about an ounce of sludge sitting on the driveway under the motor, which I had left down. There's often a little bit, but this was more than usual.

Mayday! I'm missing out on non-selective salmon out of Tillamook, OR!

Thanks.

Admiral

Re: Ran Out 1 mile with E-Tec 15 still in water. Won't Start.

[ Edited ]

Chances are the E-TEC 15 HO ingested water and hydro-locked the motor.  Remove the spark plugs and turn the motor over slowly. It is very likely that you will see water come out the plug holes. If so, pump a few squirts of outboard oil into the cylinders to help protect them from rusting.

Your best bet is to then get the motor to your dealer right away to avoid internal corrosion damage and for the techs to inspect your outboard to get the motor running again and cleaned out.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.