Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Rebel Props

Good Afternoon.

Loving my new Rig.  Went from a 16 foot Stanley with a 60hp E-Tec to a 19 Foot Stanley Islander with a 150 E-Tec.  Brilliant advice has got me in a vessel that is all I expected and more.  Been researching propellers (need a spare) and have significantly researched the topic.

19 Foot Stanley- 1750 lbs. dry weight, 24 gallons tank, Minn Kota Riptide SF 80lbs, 3 batteries plus fishing family. 

150 E-Tec- 418 lbs.  Brings me pretty close to 3000 lbs- give or take.

Prop is BRP aluminum 14.8 x 17.  WOT 5600 RPM at 47/48 mph.  Hole shot is killer and sweet spot mid- range cruising is about 3100 RPM @ 26.5 MPH with 4.6 GPH.  No complaints at all.  Perfectly set up and running like a dream. 

The objective of the exercise is to maximize efficiency.  (and have a spare prop)  This leads me to believe that the Rebel is the way to go. Most days require a 4 to 8 mile run to the fishing holes or the family beach.  Nipissing can be nasty as well and throw  some swells or some 4 footers with white caps.  Obviously, I understand some extensive Nipissing trials are required to test and demo until the right prop is found.

I will be trying the Rebel Props.  Where should I start? the 17 pitch or the 19 pitch?  Really looking forward to doing the trials but would be really curious to hear the expert's opinion on:

1.  Will it perform that much more efficiently than current set-up?

2.  Is it worth the investment?

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Rebel Props

It may be best to start with a 15" Rebel prop and monitor the top rpm with a normal load aboard. Your engine is most efficient if propped in the 5500-5800 rpm.

Due to the larger blade area, a 15" Rebel turns closer  to the rpm of a regular 17" prop.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.