Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Recommendation

Hi all,

So it is time to move on our last project. The 7.1m Savage CC ran absolutely superb with the 250 Etec.

We now have acquired a 7.73m Haines Hunter (Australian boat) which presently has on the back two 1980 235hp Evinrudes.

Now the boat weighs dry 1100kg. It has a 430lt fuel tank midships and a very large Vberth up in the bow. Gross weight would be well into the 1500s when loaded.

So we are thinking either two 150 Etecs or one 300Etec, both selections are readily available or do we wait for maybe two 175 Etecs?

Thoughts please. Picture below

FullSizeRender.jpg

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Recommendation

I just spent the last few days running the new G2  150  models, along with the 175 and 200.

Your boat could really benefit from new twin Evinrude E-TEC G2 150 HP motors. That would make a great rig with all the whistles and bells.

Normally people choose twins for reliability offshore or a single for economy and lower total cost.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Hi Bluewater Bill,

I am afraid the new G2 is a bit out of our budget. I can get a couple of 150 2008 Etecs for $8k aud or a single 300 Etec 2008 model for also the same money. Each engine has done around the 1000hr mark. What issues if any, are we likely to have with that sort of age? They have been all regularly serviced and well maintained.

Our 250 2006 Etec has given nothing but non stop trouble free running for the past two years. I am always happy to defend the Etec name against wayward fourstroke supporters who have no idea or who are so ill informed about the abilities of the Etec. Someone has to do it!!!!!!

Highlighted
Admiral

1000 hours is not bad like it used to be many years ago with traditional outboards. Be sure to have a factory trained technician go through the engine(s) completey and print out a report for you which shows how they have been operated.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

i own 1980 25ft mako  4000 lbs just put 2016 g2 300hp  on  my boat , my boat has never ran this good and this is my 2nd repower was optimistek because i always had a mercury outboard  and remembered the problems with evenrude 1n the 90's good luck with your choice