Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Removal of speedometer tube

Hello Bill

The water line going to my Faria gauge has ruptured just as it enters the floor because the hole for my wire chase is rough. I was getting water in my boat and could not figure it out. I am protecting the wire chase but I want to remove the water line because I use GPS for speed and the MPH gauge was never really accurate. Can I just unplug the fitting in my lower untit and remove the fitting and line or do I need to leave the fitting in and plug it up? Also can you tell me were the LU gets it water supply from for the line? It is a 150 E150DPXAAC.

Thank for all you do to help owners by giving so much good advice and help!!!!!

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Removal of speedometer tube

Your gearcase has a hole in the front of the bullet shaped nose where water enters for the speedometer. Above that area where the gearcase mates to the midsection there is a black plasitc elbow fitting where the the speedo hose attaches. Carefully remove or cut away the hose and put a # 0305749  CAP, Pitot tube fitting on the elbow to seal it. You can then pull the speedo hose out of the boat and use your more accurate GPS

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Thank you

Highlighted
Mate

I know I'm jumping on this years later but I have a question lol. Do you use the pitot tube plug at the intake of the water for the pitot tube on the cone or at the exit where it hooks to the tube or both? I'm also wanting to eliminate my speedometer