Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Repowering question

Hi, new to this forum.  I currently have a pair of low hour great running Ficht 150’s, that I am planning on selling this year and repowering with g1’s. 150hp’s.  While repowering I will also be upgrading the dual binnacle, along with shift and throttle cables and new oil tanks,  

my question is ion the harness currently used with the Fichts.  Is it truly just plug and play? I do know one item is the single line fro the oil tanks vs. two on the Fichts,  thus the reason I’m replacing.

any other items I need to be concerned with?

also, any tricks with th new binnacle, going for the original OMC dual to the new BRP..

thanks in advance,  Jeff 

Admiral

Re: Repowering question

There are two major reasons to repower before April 30th of this year.

First you would be eligible for the limited time offer of10 years of factory coverage for a new Evinrude E-TEC outboard motor - an industry first - or you could select the optional 5 year coverage and free rigging equipment. At some of the major boat shows there are offers of free propellers if you buy during the show.

The second reason is that your trade-in engines are never worth more than when they are in good shape and running well. In addition, springtime is when good trade-ins command the highest prices. The way this boating season is starting off, motors may be in short supply soon as some of the G1 styles have been discontinued for the newer G2 models.

Your FICHT controls, gauges, and wiring will fit the Evinrude E-TEC  G1 150 HP motors and you can cap off the return line on your oil tank. The last FICHT engine was manufactured in 2006 which means that it is likely your wiring and controls are at least 12 years old and probably older. Have them inspected closely before using them on your new motors.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.