Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Second Blown powerhead

With just over 100 hours my ETEC 150 blew a piston(serial #5353705), supposedly because of faulty injector. Evinrude warranty took care of it. Now with just 147 hours total time(30 or so after rebuild), my engine blows another piston. Evinrude refuses to take action to remedy citing out of warranty. Since when did outboards life expectancy drop so low? I explained that all the spark plugs looked similar (burning good and have pictures) and we were running fine one moment and not the next. They have all the computer history to verify that the engine simply blew apart, again, and through no fault of normal operation, and yet do not even offer to inspect engine and document occurence through a technical autopsy. What is Evinrude waiting for? Most operators of outboards know the only thing that will blow a piston is a defect or detonation. Since I purchased engine it has gone through a few bad injectors and this time the computer also was fried. It does me no good when the dealer tells me this occurred at the moment the engine failed. The more I read enation the more I find out my problem is not unique. Really? Maybe ... a clue was the FACT that I have had two catastrophic engine failures in 147 hours of run time on a 21 foot pontoon! And of the dozen or so people I have talked to at the dealer and the "customer support" telephone line, they all seem to just feel so sorry that this has happened. Sorry for me or for them? Perhaps a little more than a sorry is in order. Realise that this posting is my last ditched effort to get Evinrudes attention and never expected it would come to this. I am disappointed in the product, perhaps more at the company response.

Captain

Re: Second Blown powerhead

Sorry if I missed it but are they saying the 5 years is up, or whatever length time period your engine was warrantied for?  I see you have low hours but trying to make sense of what Evinrude is saying.

Captain

...and is it a G1 or G2 model?  Thanks.

Mate

2013 Etec 150

Captain

Captain

Was there any remedy taken to find the root cause of the blown injector? 3 injectors in 5 years is unusual.

I wonder what your fuel system looks like: high and low lift fuel pump pressures is there a water separator installed?
Captain

Very low hours for a six year old outboard!

Admiral

We are sorry to hear of your experience with an Evinrude E-TEC outboard. Being 6 years old and with so few hours normally means the motor sat unused for long periods of time. Often any left over fuel inside the injectors, fuel pumps, and gas lines may deteriorate or decompose which may cause future injector or pump problems when the engine is used after long periods of none usage if not properly treated prior to storage.

This may or may not be the cause of your engine issue, your Evinrude technician who inspected the motor can advise you. Your tech also may contact Evinrude Support to see if any consideration can be extended to your situation.

In addition, you may email the engine serial number and dealer name with your contact info and brief engine history to:

http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Yes I have heard all the complaints about fuel for years, Thats why I took photos of the plugs. Thats why the dealer installled secondary fuel filter outside the motor which I drain away each time I start the engine with clean 87 octane fuel. The computer also would tell you if there is water in the engine, of course Evinrude already knows all of this. This is not about blaming owners but about the facts, the company is hiding and not saying much. Perhaps Evinrude would like to post the catastrophic powerhead failures for the last ten years online. Perhaps they can also explain the numbers. Its okay, the owners that have suffered this are already online complaining so all we would need from the company is recognition  of a problem before the real losses start piling up, i.e. litigation. I have had Evinrude/Johnson for over forty years and I never heard the type of excuses that are coming out of the dealer and company, you would think todays engines suffer from things that didn't exist in nature 40 years ago when those engines were of weaker designs.

Skipper

Follow what Bill recommends, and be polite.  Hopefully, they will make an exception for you.  Hopefully, since your powerhead was repaired or replaced only 30 hours ago, that will help them justify fixing it again, even though your warranty is expired.

After that, use your boat more!   Letting them sit is much worse for them than running them.