Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Seized g2 power head on backorder

I had an issue with my power head where it seized as it somehow got water in it from engine water flushing.

The good news is that Evinrude is replacing it under warranty but the bad news is it’s on backorder and my mechanic can’t tell me when it is coming in. My boat has already been in the shop since the beginning of November and I am frustrated as I don’t know when I will get it back.

Blue water Bill, can you help me out with a possible lead time on when the power head will come in? My mechanic says they don’t have an answer on when it will come in.

Model: E300XUABA
See: 05420283
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Seized g2 power head on backorder

I'm sorry to hear about your engine and getting water into the block from flushing. Was it from flushing the motor while it was tilted up somewhat above regular the trim angle?

Evinrude is closed for the holidays until after the new year.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks for the quick response.

No, the engine is flushed in the vertical position so my service manager was also curious how it could have happened. The boat is kept on a lift, so I have to tilt up the engine to connect the hose but the attachment that connects into the engine has an on / off valve so I keep the valve in the off position until I tilt the engine back into the vertical position then turn on the hose.

The engine is also left in the vertical position on the lift when not in use, so all the water drains out when done.

Like I said, the service manager wasn’t sure how it could have happened either.

Highlighted
Captain

That's why I only flush my G2 with the ear muffs, totally down. Never had an issue.

Highlighted
Skipper

It is hard to put on muffs when the boat is on the boat lift.....

Highlighted
Skipper

Bill,

Can you follow up with BRP when they open back up on when the backordered powerhead will come in?  My service manager reached out to me on Tuesday and said he still doesn't have a date from BRP when it will be delivered to them.