Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain
Accepted Solution

Slightly altered winterization process

I have a johnson 40hp between 89-93. According to the service manual, I should mix fuelconditioner and foaming oil with the fuel in the tank and then run it. Problem is I can not find anywere in Sweden that sells foaming oil in other than spray can.

Inspired from many guides I suggeste the following.

1. Mix conditioner och fuel the tank and run through.

2. Spray foaming oil in the air intake till the engine stops. 

3. Spray foaming oil in the spark plug holes and rotate flywheel

After this there is ofcourse the gearcase oil and all that. What do you think of this? will it work spraying oil into the air intake instead of mixing in the fuel?

My guess is, it does not matter that much, but I like to do things right.

Captain

Re: Slightly altered winterization process

I believe you may mean the "fogging" or storage oil vs foaming oil. But to your question, yes I have 'fogged' many an OB motor by spraying fogging oil down the carb throats. 

But first you MUST add stabilizing solution (Sta-Bil) to the gasoline/fuel tank BEFORE fogging out the motor and run the motor on that mix! And make sure it is distributed (shake the tank if a portable or drive boat around on the trailer, stomping on the brakes to 'slosh' the tank some). Then run the motor on that stabilized/treated fuel. 

Admiral

Evinrude only recommends their products as they are designed specifically for their engines and may recommend other service or maintenance products that they know and have tested with their motors for reliability.  There are often other products available that are advertised to do the same things but they have not been tested or approved by BRP Evinrude and you would be using them at your own risk and could in certain circumstances, affect warranty coverage.  

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Do you spray until the engine stops or do you just spray some in there and stop the engine manualy?

Admiral

Chances are you cannot kill the motor by spraying with one can. Alternate quickly spraying into the carbs and when the motor is smoking heavily, turn it off.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.