Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Southport 28TE Repower with G2 300

New to the group, looking for some guidance.  I'm considering a repower with the G2 300s from Yamaha F225TXRs...mechanical.  First question is, will the G2s be able to fully tilt on the back of the Southport?  I may need to touch base with Southport on this...I know...  Since the G2s are electronic fly by wire and have no problem going in that direction, From your experience, what are the components needed for a complete repower...controls, wiring etc.  My boat currently has Yamaha Command Link all networked to the Garmin electronics by a NMEA 2000 backbone.  I have a Garmin Reactor 40 Autopilot with GHC 20.  Do I still need the Garmin pump for the autopilot and how is it integrated to the G2 internal hydraulic steering...I will want DPS..

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Charlie

Captain

Re: Southport 28TE Repower with G2 300

You will be amazed at the increase in pulling power with the G@s - it will be a whole new boat!

The G2s integrate easily with NMEA 2000 without any specail interface boxes as the Yamaha needed.

You can retain your existing helm and autopilot  hydraulic pump.

There are some options as to rigging. See about sitting down with your dealer & discuss what you are looking for & what is available.

Highlighted
Mate

Thanks for the reply.  Regarding the rigging, am I correct in my understanding that using DPS on both engines would not require a link bar?  Is there an advantage?  Or is the advantage to have power assist from one engine with a link bar?  Right now, My Yamaha's only have 1 steering cylinder and the steering DOES have high effort when they motors are hard over...

I'm trying to kill a lot of birds with some big stones...fresher engines, power steering, better fuel economy, lower maintenance cost (although I do all the work, just parts cost)...

Charlie

Captain

Twin engines have DPS on the standard rotation engine only the use a mechanical tiebar. Catamarans can use a liquid tie bar.
Your current engines may have high effort from an unboosted steering system. The G2 DPS unit will provide enough power boost for two engines.
Rigging components basically will include two engine to dash network cables, a shift/throttle control, and an instrument.
Mate

Thanks, that's helpful information.  

Charlie

Captain

If you want iDock be sure to specify that up fraont as iDock motors are different (both have DPS)