Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Starting issue

First let me say i love my 2011 60 etec i would have no other .Advise thread i quess.Since new my motor has started hot or stone cold with just a bump of the key.So this year the motor started getting hard to start in my mind ,it took 15 to 20 seconds last time out.Took the battery in to get load tested and she was pooched .Ive heard a few people wineing about optima batteries so heres my batt story.BOUGHT optima blue top in april of 09,it has never been on a charger,never taken out of boat no matter in -30 winter etc.Its on its second motor.The load tester printed out a sheet,this is what it said,avgerage life span of battery was 45 months,my battery was 99 months old!!Figure i got my moneys worth.New everstart battery installed and she is back to instant starting,so if all of a sudden your etec starts to take more than a second to start and you feel its not right,get the battery load tested just dont do a voltage test as mine said 12.6 but underload(starting) it may still be failing.ALSO KUDOS TO MY OLD OPTIMA SHE WAS A GOODIE!

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Starting issue

To tell the health of a battery, you can monitor the voltage measured at the posts, not the cable terminals while it cranks the motor for about 10-15 seconds. The cranking voltage should remain very close to 10 volts at the end of the time.  If not, the battery is weak or on its last legs, needs charging, or is too small a capacity.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.