Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain
Accepted Solution

Steering problems 300 G2

[ Edited ]

I have twin 300s and they are around 8 months old.The steering was fine until I went out one day and it was getting harder to turn to port and easy to starboard.I had my dealer come down and used the sea star power purge and we get a few air bubbles out.Now is is harder to turn port and starboard.It is worse then before we started.I have no fault codes and it is almost the same on med or max assist for the steering.It almost feels like air in the line if I compared it to the old seastar steering OB cylinders.Any ideals?The engine with the power steering is E300XUAGD Ser # 05484006 

Admiral

Re: Steering problems 300 G2

[ Edited ]

Your dealer should check out the steering pump operation, the electronic steering control module, and for any binding in either engine as long as it is certain no air is in the system. Also be sure the correct fluid was used.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Sir bluewaterbill i also encounter the same trouble like that and i repaired the trouble bay replacing dps manifold, pressure sensor port and stbd, dps module. Do you think the trouble will be back again?
Skipper

I had my steering rebuilt twice before the factory sent a new steering unit to be installed.

They know they are a problem but won't admit it.

My local dealer was installing a new G2 on a boat yesterday and discovered a leak at the steering unit.

The factory is sending a new unit out for replacement.

Don't let your dealer or factory say they don't know there is a problem.

My G2 has been a lemon and now I am getting a new powerhead and they found bad corrosion under powerhead.

Also, you (we) should all know about the spark plug issue they are not talking about....

Admiral

@k2sanjuan wrote:

Also, you (we) should all know about the spark plug issue they are not talking about....

There is a factory service bulletin about spark plugs that has been out for a while and dealers should be familiar with it.  Only certain engines are affected by it.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Did you get a DPS open motor message on your guages?  Ho wquickly was delaer able to fix your issue?    I believe I have the same or similar issue,  boat is 5 months old,  but I have an ETEC 250 G2 HO.   Got rid of my 20 year old boat, and bought a brand new boat so I wouldnt have to deal with this sort of thing.   Was all of this repair work and parts covered under warranty? Thanks!

Mate

[ Edited ]

I’ve had two dps failures in the last year.  Twin 300  set up.  renaissance prowler 31 cat.  First time failed coming into the inlet. On plane, engines cut hard to starboard and I went right at the reef.  Had to come into inlet backwards it was the only way to maneuver the boat.  very dangerous.  Second time was two weeks ago in the NW channel north of Bimini.  130 miles from port.  This time the engines were straight back.  Made it home using throttles to steer.  If it happens again I’m going nuclear w Evinrude and will have Optimus sterling installed and bypass their pump which I think is a known problem that needs to be re-engineered.

Skipper

I own and operate Playin Hookey Charters and have had to have the steering pump completely replaced at 749 hours. Since then I’ve refilled the new 1, 3 times already. There is a design malfunction they know about. I’m at 1040 hours now. It seems dangerous if it was to go completely with a crew aboard.
Skipper

Captain Bill Pappas
Admiral

If you are having to refill the power steering, have your dealer check things out both on the unit and in the boat's hydraulic steering system as that should not happen.