Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Re: Steering problems 300 G2

[ Edited ]

I bought my boat in 2017 had it in the shop 4 times now for power steering and trim issus. They've replaced the trim several times, now I'm getting an entire new unit. Do you know if the steering hydraulics are tied to the trim hydraulic system?

Highlighted
Mate

We have twin 300s and had a new power steering pump replaced last year under warranty. We were out this Sunday and the power steering  completely failed, we can still just about turn the wheel but it handle like a truck. We are not impressed as we have only done 6 hours since the new unit was put in. 

We have made 4 calls to our local main dealer here in Mallorca to get the problem diagnosed and we can’t even get a response. 

What fantastic reliability and service! NOT! 

Highlighted
Skipper

My 2015 300hp G2 lost steering last night and threw me overboard. Fluid is leaking from top of steering housing. Anyone else have same problem?
Highlighted
Admiral

See your dealer right away and tell them of your experience.  You may also want to send an email with the engine serial number, dealer name. and a brief narration of the engine history and your recent experience.

http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks I contacted Evinrude and have a case number they were pleasant on the phone albeit not very helpful it as it needs dealer input
Highlighted
Admiral

@Seacraft wrote:
Thanks I contacted Evinrude and have a case number they were pleasant on the phone albeit not very helpful it as it needs dealer input

Dealer input is required by every outboard manufacturer for warranty purposes. It is stated in their warranty policies.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

After a couple rebuilds and a complete replacement, I am now waiting months for another new fix for my steering unit.

They claim BRP is working with Cat on a whole new system and I will probably be the guinea pig on that if it ever shows up.

I can't count how many months of out of service I have had just for steering issues. BRP should be embarressed.

Highlighted
Skipper

What did they do to repair steering?

I had a few seals replaced and even the whole unit after the casting broke, but now I am broken again.