Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Still having tilt/trim issues

I had a horrible leak coming from the end cap of my tilt cylinder so I purchased a seal kit for the Showa cylinder.  Once repaired, I pre-filled the cylinder with the correct fluid, bled the system of air and topped off the reservoir with fluid.  The issue now is with the release valve tightly closed, I can raise and lower the motor by hand.  With the motor raised and locked in place, the trim cylinders go in and out using the swtich, but the tilt cylinder wont raise or lower with the switch.  I can push it by hand and it goes down 3/4th of the way and creeps back up to the extended position.  The air is bled, that I can tell.  Could there be trash in one of the check valves?   

Admiral

Re: Still having tilt/trim issues

It sounds like there is air in the system still as you can move the tilt piston and it will bounce back. Your being able to move the motor by hand means either a check valve is stuck open, it would be very hard to tilt the motor by hand. If it moves fairly easily, then that is probably a large amount of air in the system.

Sometimes you have to bleed the pump body, assuming the check valves are operational, by removing the trim motor and the shaft coupler, adding enough oil to cover the pump housing and turning the pump shaft a number of rotations in each direction to remove any air that may be trapped in a passageway. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks, again Bill.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm hoping it's not a check valve.  I know there are quite a few that could affect the pump.

Skipper

I removed the trim motor and the fluid was to the very top, actually spilling out some when I pulled the motor off.  The coupler is intact and not broken.  I used a flat screwdriver and rotated the coupler about 100 times in both directions.  I reinstalled the motor and used the switch.  The trim cylinders extended out completely, but the tilt cylinder did not move.  As I cycled the trim cylinders IN, the tilt cylinder extended OUT at the same time.  The trim cylinders work perfectly with the switch.  The tilt cylinder does not.  What next?  lol 

Admiral

Does the pump either full up or down build up pressure and slow the motor  down?

If not a check valve or oring is allowing pressure leakage.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

No.  Pump speed stays the same when both trim cylinders are either fully extended or retracted.  

Admiral

If it worked OK before you took it apart to repair the leak, then you may have to take it apart again and inspect everything you did.

A dealer has the special high pressure gauges and the relief valve adapter tool to check the up and the down pressures in your trim unit. If the pressures do not meet the service manual specs, then the unit has to come apart and be inspected.

Highlighted
Skipper

When I bought the boat a few weeks ago, nothing worked.  I replaced the motor and thats when I discovered the major leak in the tilt cylinder end cap seal.  Since these units are "vintage", that means EXPENSIVE!  lol  Thanks for your help.  I'll post what it takes to get this fixed, in case anyone is following that has similar problems.