Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Stuck in reverse 200 ho etec

Was going along 35mph or so ( twins ,32ft rhib) and one motor made a real high reving sound, the sound a motor makes if it jumps out of gear. So we slow down to a start, quick visual inspection, seems all good. Go back into forward but something definitely was off.
Turns out that engine somehow jumped into reverse, and is now stuck in reverse doesn't matter of the control if F/N or R.
Back at dock pull both cowling off and do a side by side inspection. All seems good, motor controls all seem to be acting normal.

Any thoughts?
Captain

Re: Stuck in reverse 200 ho etec

Engine model number?
Motor controls acting normal? Are you saying the engine will shift normally now?
Condition of lower unit oil?
Mate

Engine model# e200hcxabf 2015 etec 200hp.
Yes motor controls feel the same and shift fine. And when you look under the cowling the shifting motion looks good. Have yet to pull and inspect oil.
Engine doesn't shift now, it is always stuck in reverse.

What would cause an engine to ram itself in reverse on its own when you are doing 3000plus rpm in forward gear?

I imagine if I am driving along in forward and shif cable or rod or linkage breaks , I would think it would either stay in forward gear or fall out of gear, but to jam into reverse seems odd? Maybe I don't enough obviously.
Captain

Are the top shocks ok or gone soft? That could put pressure on the shift mechanism.

Captain

On a 60 hp engine I have seen broken upper engine mounts bend the shift rod which pulled it up into reverse. You are likely going to have to pull the port side cover to see the shift rod connection under the intake to check for movement. Probably need to pull the gearcases for further testing and inspection.
Admiral

Check the gear oil first and look for metal shards on the drain screw magnets. A metallic dust or fuzz is normal on the magnets, but not chunks or slivers of steel.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks for the replies. Next week I am finally pulling the boat out of water and into trailer. Just ran the boat on the sb engine for a few last local short trips.

On another forum a guy had the exact same issue happen multiple times and he said in the end they had to replace the lower unit.
"It ended up being the shifter in the lower unit. The second time it happened evinrude replaces the lower unit. I never had any problems after that." to quote him.

So I am a little worried what the mechanic might find.

This is kind of crazy since these motors are only 4 years old and this motor with the current problem also had its leg replaced in the first year at around 50hours. Both motors have under 200 hours on them so I would expect them to be top notch. And at the beginning of the spring I had them serviced at the dealer and had all services done and lower oils changed.

Well we will see how much it hurts once the dealer takes a look.