Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Success Stories

New ETEC owner and browsing this site can be rather depressing.  I realize people come here primarily with issues, but i think it would be helpful to have a thread dedicated to those with an Evinrude that is running strong.  Would love to hear about your motor's success story.  Post up!

2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Captain

Re: Success Stories

I hear ya...especially the ones using huge amounts of oil....

I love the technology and engineering going into these motors...but SO much more potential for issues.

I haven't seen a catastrophic failure thread yet....haven't been actively looking either...

but EMMs, injectors...yikes

I wish the best of luck with yours.

Captain

Same to you.  

I'm sure the majority of Etec owners are satisfied with minimal troubles and frankly, are not even on this board.  But it sure would be nice to hear.  I chose this motor after 14 quiet years with a 90hp yammie on my 17' Key West.  (I also switched from a Silverado to a Ford last year!)  The extra 5 years of warranty for a total of 8 in addition to the many benefits of the Etec sold me.  

My boat is garage-kept, just like the last one and i trust that will add to her longevity, but sure would be nice to see some positive stories here.  There are some on the etecowners forum.

Captain

I wish I could afford a nice Etc 225 HO...sadly running a 1986 225hp, but I know it pretty well...

if this motor finally bites it...I'm going to be transferring the carbs, harness, crank, connecting rods to a 1999-2005 ficht motor  and get rid of the emm, injectors and such...basically be a carbed ficht...

the outcome is a stroked 225, supposedly gets almost 100hp out of that combo.

I have to do it on the down low...wife says our boat is fast enough at 47mph...

Admiral

@cfauvel wrote:

...but SO much more potential for issues.

I haven't seen a catastrophic failure thread yet....haven't been actively looking either...

but EMMs, injectors...yikes

I wish the best of luck with yours.

Don't forget that the stories you read about contain only the facts that the author wants you to know. Not only are there 2 sides to every story but other factors come into play and are usually omitted from the complaint or narrative.

Engines with a long history of overheating from running in the mud and sand often lose an EMM due to the elevated temperature conditions which stress electronics.  Injectors can become inoperative due to debris, ethanol phase separation, and corrosion from  moisture in the fuel, not to mention varnish deposits from stale fuel.  Note that may complaints are of motors 10 years old with less than 100 hours on them. That is a lot of time sitting unused allowing corrosion to occur and create damage and for gasoline to decompose and leave gummy residue.

Parts do fail, but most of the time, there is more to the story.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Agree with your statements Bill.  Living in the south, my boat is used year round and nearly every weekend in the summer.  Is it your recommendation to use only ethanol-free gas in these motors?  Any issue with mixing ethanol-free and E10 gas?

Captain

[ Edited ]

Great points...

BTW you are the first corp rep that I've seen actually mention phase separation as a real issue...

I pretty much like all the brands, been very happy and frustrated with my 31 year old evinrude...and true...everytime I'm frustrated with the engine and about to throw in the towel, it ends up being a component failure that was most probably directly related to user or time.

I certainly love the engineering that has gone into the newer engines, though they are super complex, just like the cars.

the only caveat to my love of the new motors is the Yamaha four strokes that have the exhaust port corrosion issue.....forget the years affected, apparently the $1700+ replacement parts have a better corrosion coating ....the repair doesn't seem too terrible(if you do it yourself)....but dang...

oh....if I could afford a new one...it would be an E-tec 225 ho as stated....

Admiral

@Hi_c wrote:

Agree with your statements Bill.  Living in the south, my boat is used year round and nearly every weekend in the summer.  Is it your recommendation to use only ethanol-free gas in these motors?  Any issue with mixing ethanol-free and E10 gas?

The motors are designed to operate on 87 octane and with up to 10% ethanol. Running Rec90 eliminates the extra care and problems that are associated with alcohol enhanced fuel.

In any case, purchase fresh fuel. REC90 sitting in a tank for close to several months may not be as good as fresh E-10 from a high volume gas station. Use Evinrude 2+4 Fuel Conditioner if the boat is used infrequently.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

CFauvel, I just found this thread in the reviews section.

http://community.evinrude.com/t5/Reviews/WHAT-DO-YOU-LOVE-ABOUT-YOUR-EVINRUDE/td-p/10096

Confidence booster!