Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Suitable Material for gas tank revision

Not certain if I can get an answer on this site, but; I am changing the fuel sensor entrance on my Moeller tank. I am adding a wedge shim on the top. I need about 1" to 1-1/4" thick piece of material to shape. Obviously capable of taking gasoline, drilling and sealing with gasket material or Permatex. It will be held with ss bolts into the tank.

Some type of plastic? (TACO comes in 3/4" only) Where do I get this stuff?

Admiral

Re: Suitable Material for gas tank revision

[ Edited ]

There are a lot of factors, tests, and Federal regulations that apply to boat fuel tanks. The correct type of plastic that is gasoline and ethanol resistant is only one of the many items that have to be considered. Home brew modifications could cause major safety issues which may result in damage, injuries, or death both to you and to innocent people in the vicinity.

It might be best to contact the fuel tank manufacturer berfore attempting anything:

Moeller Marine Products

801 N. Spring St.

Sparta, TN 38583

Tel: 800-432-8344 or 931-738-8090

moellerinfo@moellermarine.com

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Re: Suitable Material for gas tank revision

Will do. Thanks