Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

System Check Guage

Is there a way to check engine hours on the system check guage? It was recently suggested to me that by manipulating the ignition switch the engine hours would be displayed on the system check guage. Any info on this is appreciated!

E135DHXABG

Admiral

Re: System Check Guage

No engine hours on the SystemCheck gauge, only on nmea2000 networked display gauges.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

As I understand it a gauge almost identical to the system check gauge used by another brand will sweep the needle at key on to indicate engine hours.
We install analog hour meters and can power them up to match engine hours on used engines.
Captain

HIJACK - I have my Garmin NMEA connected to my motor and am considering replacing all of my analog gauges to another NMEA connected screen. I'd love to have 2 Garmin MFDs - one for engine/fuel information and one for chart/fish.

How would I get the system check lights and information?
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Highlighted
Captain

The system check lights are analog only. Evinrude has a 2" lights only gauge that can be connected if you have the standard MWS wiring harness.
A Lowrance/Simrad unit and possibly a Garmin brand with the latest updates should display the Evinrude engine data and warning messages.
Admiral

Keep your systemcheck gauge and the warning horn. You still can connect the motor to the boat network for the basic information on your Garmin screen.

It is my understanding that the Garmin-Evinrude software package does not have the error codes or warnings for a G1 E-TEC like yours. It will only give all the info and the warnings for the G2 models.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thanks for the additional information Bill.
I did one "clean looking" Garmin install by hanging the system check tach under the dash so the warning horns and system check lights still functioned. In the event of an alarm the owner was able to look under the console/dash to see the indicator lights.
Admiral

Rick,
That is a neat idea for mounting a guage and horn under the dash.

One that I did years back was to install the 2" SystemCheck gauge which only had the warning lights in one of the 2" holes from the old gauges and redid the dash for a display screen. The engine then had "full coverage" for warnings and the digital display for speed, rpm, etc.

Captain

I was wondering if Rick saw I had the G1 motor as nothing came up on my Garmin when I had a NO OIL alarm 2 weeks ago. However, i like the idea of mounting the speedometer (system check gauge) under the dash. I might do this for a future winter project.
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Captain

Hi_c,. I wasn't sure about the G1 error messages since I haven't tested it.
Part of the description on Garmin April 2019 update only stated "added support for Evinrude engines".