Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Tell me about my Ficht

First time visiting the site and first post. I'd like input from actual owners rather than the entire boating communities' second hand tales of their brother's cousin's x-wife's dad.

Long story short: I wanted a boat. Found a boat. Saw the boat run. Bought the boat. Didn't research the motor.

2000 200hp Evinrude Ficht Ram E200FPLSIF, no idea on how many hours are on it.

Ran like a champ for 9-10 months, then it quit on me. Called every Evinrude shop within 100 miles and no one would touch it. Through a couple dozen calls, I heard everything from "run" to "good luck" and quickly learned of it's reputation.
Same from most of the things you read online. I figured out the low pressure fuel lifter went out, so I ordered a new one and put it on now I'm back in business. ...or am I?

I'd like to re-power, but if I can keep this one running for cheaper that's the way I'll go. I'm going to take it to get a diagnostics report on it very soon I hope.

I won't buy used parts, I won't take it to a machine shop, and I won't frankenstein this engine together to keep it running. I'll be on the smartside of frugal and won't duct-tape this thing back together. Basically, if a part goes bad I can't buy a replacement part or a shop can't fix it without a complete overhaul, I'm done with it.

I know alot of parts aren't available anymore so I'm looking for input- 

When the shop runs the diagnostics report, what should I look out for? What red flag should I look for that would warrant me to wash my hands of it?

What is repairable?

What isn't repairable?

What components arent available OEM or aftermarket?
Without buying used parts, what issues would be considered a total loss?

Thanks and I hope this makes sense.

Admiral

Re: Tell me about my Ficht

[ Edited ]

The company who developed the early FICHT engines is no longer in business as of December 2000. The next year the Johnson and Evinrude name was purchased from a Federal bankruptcy auction by Bombardier who re-engineered and improved the brands.

A large number of those early FICHTs, around 20%,  developed problems in certain applications as they were the first generation of low-emission computer-controlled outboards. A different outboard manufacturer also had so many problems with their early low-emission models that they were the recipient of class-action legalities where a judge determined how they should take care of their customers.

Bombardier's improvements to the FICHT design came out with the 2002 and later models.  The reputation of the early OMC built FICHTs still lives on, but it may surprise you that many of the older 1999, 2000 and 2001 models are still alive and well. Some parts are hard to locate but there is a large market for used parts for them plus several companies rebuild the electronic components and one rebuilds and recalibrates the injectors. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Re: Tell me about my Ficht

I had a 2000 115HP Ficht for 12 years with no issues. My buddy still has a 2000 200HP Ficht up and running with no issues. The earlier 60 deg V6 had the majority of the carbon buildup issues. Mercurys early Optimax engines had similar issues. So if folks are running from Fichts they should run from Opti's also.