Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

Temperture problems on BRAND NEW Motor

Hi All,

I've put my BRAND NEW Boat and Evinrude 115 motor in the water this weekend... Everything went well until  the ICON system started buzzing and warning me about HIGH TEMP in motor. Of course the motor went into SAFE mode and I was able to return to my dock.

FRUSTATING, to say the least !

BRAND NEW, and already a problem. The Boat and Motor was test driven (buy the dealer owner) one day before I got it, whithout any ittch !!!

I've noticed that water is comming out of the motor a idle, very slowly. But that is NORMAL, it's in IDLE...

But when going about 10-15 MPH (around 1500 - 2000 RPM) the TEMP is shooting up and hardly any water is comming out from the motor (about the same flow as when in IDLE).

I don't know a thing about motor mechanic... But is there simple steps I can do (check things out) before taking it to the dealer ???

Thanks

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Temperture problems on BRAND NEW Motor

[ Edited ]
Hi, check nothing is blocking water intake, run the motor with engine cover off and check engine for water leaks also check inside engine cover for salt residues, (if running in salt water) good indicator of water leak. Other than that, ring the dealer. It's a brand new motor and covered by warranty, my experience is Evinrude honour their warranty. The engine will stay in safe mode until it no longer detects an overheat ie problem is fixed.

Cheers
GEB
Highlighted
Admiral

I'm sorry to hear of your overheating issue on your motor. See your dealer right away as it is probably something very easy such as a water pump replacement or a sticking thermostat or relief valve. This is assuming that nothing blocked the water inlets such as weeds or an ice bag or the motor trimmed up way too high

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks for all the answers...

Brought it to the dealer and they replaced the deffective Water Pump... I will give it a try this weekend!

Hopefully, everything will run fine and I won't have anymore problems...

Cheers to all !

Highlighted
Skipper

OMG....

Believe it or Not.... My 115HP still overheated &^&$&^ !

I gave it a whirl last weekend and the High Temp alarm want off 2 times. Once at low RPM (2000 - 3000) was just viewing the cottages at the lake. The second time was when I was towing a tube (tubing).

What should I do?
Is my motor a Lemon ?
Should I ask for a brand new motor ?

Please Help !
Highlighted
Admiral

I'm very sorry to hear of the reoccurring temperature problem. A number of things can cause overheating and your dealer technician should go for a ride with you to monitor the water pressure and the engine temperature rise to isolate the problem.

The factory publishes a water pressure chart that the tech can use to compare water pressures at various rpms.

Did they replace the whole factory water pump kit or just the pump impeller? If it was only the impeller, the whole kit replacement would be a better fix.

Keep us posted with what happens.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Hi,

They found sand in the motor... So I guess my motor wasn't high enough when I docked my boat... Anyway, they cleaned everthing out and they said It would BE FINE...........

Yeah RIGHT !!!!

Guess what ???

Same thing happened the past weekend --- HI TEMP warning AGAIN ...

Weird thing is that on one outing, the TEMP climbed all the way up to 202 F. The safeguard NEVER kicked in. I reduced my speed to let the motor cool down a bit... Then, on Sunday, went out again... The TEMP climbed up to around 193 F before the motor did a SAFE GUARD...

But why in the hell, did it not do the SAFE shutdown at 202 F on Satruday and then it did it around 193 F on Sunday???

I'm  strarting the Hate this MOTOR. !!!!

A discouraged customer

Please Help !

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

If sand got into the motor, it is possible that it may have restricted the cooling water flow to the fuel cooler (VST) and the engine computer (EMM).

If the EMM gets too hot from a lack of water flow, then you will also get an OVERHEAT warning and the motor will slow down.  The tech using a laptop can access a stored error code that will tell not only what happened, but when it happened and how many times. The fittings, hoses, VST, and EMM should be cleaned out if that was the case.

The overheat alarm is dependent on engine rpm, at low speed there is a different overheat threshold compared to the high rpm warning temp. That is built into the engine computer and probably why you saw different readings those times.If the engine overheated, then there would be a code or codes that stated which cylinderhead got hot, how high the temperature, and when it happened in engine hours.

In other words, and overheat warning could meant that the motor got hot or that the EMM got hot and that a tech has to determine which one is the culprit.

Did the dealer replace the whole pump assembly or just the rubber impeller?  There were some mis-machined water pumps for the 115 and  the whole assembly should have been replaced to be on the safe side.

Highlighted
Mate

I got my ranger with a evinrude in feb, same thing well that was one issue out of many
Wish I would of got different motor, but I like what evin rude was offering with maintain ce now I know why
I wish they would replace my motor it spends more time in the shop than on the water it the biggest regret I've ever had buy an evin rude
4 months old been in the shop more then water
Every time I gone out I have had issues
1 trim would stop going down took two trips to the shop to fix it
2 over heated
3 over heat alarm still going off every time (turn off it rests it's shelf)
4 computer issue alarm goes off if you run it over 5 mins
5 bad injector
6 motor decelerates after running top speed for 3-5 mins

O by the way my new motor now has a skegg that has been scraped up pretty good due to trim stuck in down
Wish they would replace it
Highlighted
Skipper

Hi,

It is the first time that I own a boat with such a big motor that you can TRIM the way you like. Could the way I TRIM the motor have an effect on overheating?

I always ride my boat with the motor trimmed as far down  as possible...

Thanks