Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Too much water pressure?

Is it possible to have too much water pressure on my Etec? I currently have 8 to 9 psi at idle, 15 psi at 1000 rpm, about 30 at 3600 rpm. The guage stops at 30 psi but above 3600 rpm it does seem to go past the 30 psi mark.  I just recently replaced the water pump and plate when doing a 300 hr service and this is the result.   It certainly didn't have this much pressure before.  This seems to be outside of the range according to the water pressure chart but is this necessarily a bad thing?  And if so what would yall recommend to remedy the situation?  I also replaced the thermostats and seals during the service as well.  I'm thinking the water bypass valve may be a good starting place but figured I would ask the experts first.

The motor is a 2007 Etec 150 model E150DSLSUF 

Thanks for the help.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Too much water pressure?

You may want to temporarily tee-in or connect a known accurate gauge into the system for comparison.

Very often a gauge can be knocked out calibration from over-pressure or freezing.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Sorry it took a little bit shipping is kinda slow.  I hooked up another mechanical water pressure gauge with the same readings but was unsure if it was accurate.  So I ordered in an electrical water pressure sensor to see and it also confirmed the water pressure readings and told me the actually pressure once it went beyond the normal 30 psi gauge limit.  It has 37 to 38 psi at about 3800 rpms and 10 psi at about 1000 rpms the idle pressure is at about 5 - 7 psi.  

Highlighted
Admiral

Something may be restricting the water flow through the motor. Is there any type of fitting screwed into the flushing port on the back of the motor? It should be open, an outlet tube visible, and about a 3/8" diameter stream of water exiting it when running.

There is a possibility of something jamming the pressure relief valve and spring at the upper part of the engine block.  Also check the water flow thru the EMM and the vapor separator assembly and the fittings in the engine.

If everything seems OK, then you may need a tech to examine the water pump for correctness and water flow through the motor checking for debris  or other problems that could cause excessive water pressure.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.