Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Transom hieght of 250 Etec HO

I know I"m back but you don't learn unless you ask, my fellow bass anglers now admire Etec. My 250 is on a Basscat Cougar, (2008), 14 1/2 X 25 Power Tech prop,4 blade.at 5800 Rpm at barely 69 mph water pressure try's to drop off and is hard to steer. Which way does motor have to go?, up or down on transom hieght?. Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Transom hieght of 250 Etec HO

I must have mentioned names other than Etec, sorry about that, but don't you think the boat should go past 69 mph?. Thanks for any info.

Admiral

Your best course of action if to first have the engine checked over, compression, fuel pressures, throttle opening, WOT TPS voltage, and a cylinder balance test, to make sure it is putting out its full HP.

Have an experienced bass boat or performance boat tech check out the rigging and setup and the hull of your boat.  Remove as much weight and nonessential items from the boat.

In some cases a reputable custom prop shop can tailor the propeller for more speed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thanks again Bill, All cyclinders are 125 psi, new power head. I believe a prop probably is the answer, what does Evinrude recomend as a starting prop, current prop is 4 blade 14 1/2 X 25, M-2 lower unit.  Thanks again.

Admiral

Propping is trial and error. You may want to start with the Raker II series in a 25 or 26" pitch as a starting point. Experiment with engine height for best results. Remove un-needed items from boat and make sure the bottom is clean and smooth, no slime, roughness, or growth.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thanks again.