Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Trim Tab Not Correcting Steering Torque

My 2009, 130 ETEC is on an 18' trihull.  The bow Vee extends to the transom.

The  boat pulls to the starboard at all speeds.

The engine trim tab, under anti-ventalation plate, is all the way to the starboard.

Are there other options other than changing to the no feedback steering system?

Thanks, Mike

Captain

Re: Trim Tab Not Correcting Steering Torque

I'm just making this suggestion cause you've had no other responses yet.
First I would ask myself why the trim tab on my motor is turned all the way to starboard. It should be centered if all is correct with boat weight being balanced with gear stored equally. At the most I could see the trim tab being adjusted a couple of tics port or starboard to correct any imbalance but not maxed out in one direction port or starboard. I would also think that if you changed your steering you would still have a issues with the trim tab left all the way to starboard.
Just thinking out loud.
Captain

Had same thing on my boat. Intalled NoFeedback Steering. GL. D

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

@CheetahMike wrote:

My 2009, 130 ETEC is on an 18' trihull.  The bow Vee extends to the transom.

The  boat pulls to the starboard at all speeds.

The engine trim tab, under anti-ventalation plate, is all the way to the starboard.

Are there other options other than changing to the no feedback steering system?

Thanks, Mike

Mike,

Due to the torque of the propeller cutting through the water, called the " P factor" there will always be some type of pull on regular mechanical steering. It will vary with speed and the trim angle of the motor.
The trim tab will adjust out a lot of the torque but will only be effective at the speed and trim angle that it was adjusted for.

Propeller design also plays a factor as rake and blade design will make a difference. A 4-blade prop has less of a  P-factor than a 3 blade. Is the motor mounted too low on the transom? Do you fell a difference when you trim the motor up? You don't have a 25" motor on a 20" transom, do you?

What make and size boat, what propeller make, model, no. of blades, and pitch?

In extreme conditions there is a torque tab available that bolts to the back of the fin below the propshaft but have the boat and motor measured and evaluated by a professional first.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Interesting discussion.

The boat is an 18" 1975 Arrow Glass Cheetah.

The engine is mounted such so that the plate is just covered with water at plane.

Prop is 3 blade, 13.5 dia and 17 pitch, might be off a lillte.

I trim down below plane and at plane trim up to allow revs to increase.

Next outing will make notes at various rpm's and trim.

Thanks Mike

Captain

JM, thanks for getting the ball rolling

Admiral

@CheetahMike wrote:

The engine is mounted such so that the plate is just covered with water at plane.

I trim down below plane and at plane trim up to allow revs to increase.

Raise the motor up perhaps 2 holes to get the anti-ventilation plate on top of the water. The final height will be trial and error.

You will notice much more steering wheel resistance with the motor trimmed in and it will lessen as you trim the motor up while running at cruising speed.  

Is your steering system in good enough shape where you can turn the motor while it is stopped  from one side to the other with one finger on the wheel?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.