Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Trim motor noise.

I have been on the water many years but this is a first for me, i have read about problems with trim motors and not gong up or down and it doesn't usually take much to fiquire it out. I hit the down position on the engine switch and it sounds like a crackle and then it engages so i replaced the switch and the same thing. My friend hit the up position and it made no noise and did not move, and it works fine sometimes. I'm replacing the trim relay any oter ideas? All other switches from bow to drivers seat do the same.  Thank you.

Captain

Re: Trim motor noise.

You say that any and all trim switches show the same response.  Therefore, one can pretty safely assure the individual switches and associated wiring are OK.  The trim system components in common with all the switches are the trim relay assembly, power leads from battery power to the trim motor (through the relay assembly), and the trim motor.

The crackle sound would most likely involve a high current path from the battery power through the relay assembly to the trim motor as the individual trim switches are a low current signal path.  Before you replace the trim assembly, you might want to open connectors and check ring terminal connections in the trim motor high current path.  Look for any loose/corroded contact points.

Highlighted
Captain

Thanks for your response and help, i appreciate it.

Captain

Sparky, thought i would share outcome of what i found. When i removed trim relay i notoiced wire's going in had lost thier glue or sealer holding the wires in was gone and wire's were lose. New relay and all is well.  Thank you.

Admiral

Thank you for letting us know what was found.

Too many times we try to help someone and never hear from them again, not knowing if our assistance was helpful or our diagnostic guesses were correct.

We appreciate you follow-up post

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thanks Bill, I hope it helps someone else.