Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Trim sender

I would like to have the trim setting show up on my chart plotter through my NEMA 2000 system. All the other engine info show up on my chart plotter fine. What part do I need to add to the engine to get this reading? Is this a DIY task or better left to a dealer? Do you have to run another wire to your NEMA 2000 backbone or does it hook up inside the engine?

Engine E150DPXAB Serial 05436112

Curt

Admiral

Re: Trim sender

Does your chart plotter display the Evinrude trim setting? You may have to contact the manufacture or read the instruction manual.

See your dealer as you may need a new wiring harness from the motor to the keyswitch. There are 2 types and yours may be the MWS series instead of the I-Command type used with NMEA2000.

Also with the correct components, your dealer had to program the EMM to tell it to send the trim data.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

My chart plotter Garmin 7610xsv shows a trim setting gauge but there is no number being displayed now. I have a NMEA 2000 drop plugged into the motor now. It picks up motor info now, such as gal/hr, rpm, water temp, barometric  pressure, etc.

Curt

Captain

[ Edited ]

It won’t recognize trim until the dealer changes the settings in the emm. Bill s correct..I have the same issue. Also if you don’t have a working trim gauge you also need to install in-line a resistor. Very simple . I will find a link that is very good on the procedure.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ETEC_RiggingAdvanced.html#TRIM

This is good info.

i hope it’s ok to post. 

Skipper

Thanks realfun1 for that link info. I have only the system check gauge or MWS harness so If I read the info correct, I only need to add a 47 ohm 5 watt resistor to that wire harness and then have the dealer set up the EMM. The EMM then will send the trim value via my installed NMEA cable. The EMM senses when the trim is changed without any additional parts??

Curt

Captain

Yes, I believe that is correct. There is a lot of additional info available on this topic at that website. But it is that simple. That resistor is less that 5 bucks.  Good luck with that and let us know how it went for you.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Be advised that this is an Evinrude owned website.

Modifying items not approved by BRP Evinrude could be hazardous and could void certain warranty coverages. The following is the harness that is recommended by Evinrude and replaces the MWS harness that is used for analog gauges.

Wire Harness, Ignition/TNT I-CommandTM - Single Engine
Required for vessels equipped with digital gauges and displays in order to view engine trim.

• Runs directly from the helm to the outboard
• One harness required per outboard
• Includes accessory power leads

763543   Ignition/TNT Harness 15'
763544   Ignition/TNT Harness 20' 
763545   Ignition/TNT Harness 25' 
763546   Ignition/TNT Harness 28'

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Sorry Bill, I didn’t mean to do anything wrong

Admiral

Being a company site, disclaimers have to be made, and posts have to adhere to Evinrude policies and procedures.