Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Twin 2016 g2s 200 ho loss of efficiency

I am on my 3rd season with my twin 200 ho g2's 243 hrs.  Boat is a 1993 27 oceanmaster  this past year I have noticed an decrease in my fuel efficincy as compared to my previous 2 years of logs.  Starboard motor has had knock sensor issues at rpms over 3850 when in less than ideal conditions.  Last season I had the updates from evinrude and it did not seem to alevate the problem.  Since it is hard to recreate the conditions when the sensor goes off and forces me to lower rpms does the EMM record knock sensor issues?  Also I am wondering if the Knock sensor is due to faulty injector causing me to lose fuel economy.  In my logs from previous seasons on a perfect sea state and wind I was averaging around 1.9 mpg at roughly 27 kts.  Now I am seeing 1.5 also I have never pinned the throttles until this year and I am only reaching 5200 rpms.  Boat is at dealer now getting looked at any guidence or advice is appreciated.  

Admiral

Re: Twin 2016 g2s 200 ho loss of efficiency

A restricted or faulty injector could affect the knock warning as could other engine conditions. For reduced efficiency, don't forget that the boat can contribute to that for such items as hull condition or growth on it, heavier weight from water absorbtion or additional items, or a hook condition in the keel.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I have a G2 250HO. Last year I got plagued by many knock sensor episodes that would put my engine in protection mode. Only when I cruised over 5000 rpm. It took a new Map to take care of it.
Admiral

@gregorymacc wrote:

Now I am seeing 1.5 also I have never pinned the throttles until this year and I am only reaching 5200 rpms.  Boat is at dealer now getting looked at any guidence or advice is appreciated.  

Is 5200 for each engine? If so that is too low and the motor is lugging which definitely could cause detonation (knocking).  Is your gas more than 2 months old by chance?

What was the top rpm  with both motors previously?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Yes 5200 for both engines. I am swinging a rev4 15x18 if memory serves. Gas is fresh.
Admiral

What was the top rpm  with both motors previously?

Skipper

5500 was the top end if i remember correctly but I am not 100% sure.  Hindsight being what it is I should have turned sync off when I pinned the motors last week to see the difference in rpms between port and starboard motors. 

Admiral

The absolute minimum full throttle rpm is 5400 for your motor and it is recommended to prop in the mid to upper half of the operating range, especially with a heavy boat.

Have the engines been reomoved or repositioned since last year?  One of the plastic caps in the airways on top of the motor could have come loose or possibly left off and that will lower engine output.

Skipper

Motors have never been removed from the boat or repositioned. Which plastic caps are you refering to? If the issue is not resolved i may take to a different dealer just to get a different set of eyes on the motor. In 3 years i have had 3 warranty issues between steering and knock sensor.
Highlighted
Admiral

G2 plastic plug locations in top cover.JPG