Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Unplug the gas line and run her dry..??

Hi E-Nation and fellow members,

1st time owner of a really impressive ETEC 30hp..

My question: When leaving my boat at the dock (or putting the boat on my trailer and taking her home) for a day or 2 or even a week / month,, should I ever disconnect the gas line hose and "run her dry" there at the dock / trailer, or,  just "auto-fog" her and let her shut herself off, then disconnect the gas hose..?? (or disconnect the gas hose 1/2 way thru the "auto fog" to run out the gas so it doesn't just sit in the carb until I use the boat again..??)

All of my other 2 strokes, I just disconnected the gas hose at the dock or on the trailer, (while flushing with fresh water), let them idle until they ran the gas out of the carb..

I'm in South West Florida and only use my boat in the bays and Gulf (saltwater)..

Thanks for any direction anyone can provide..

Richard William Lord 

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Unplug the gas line and run her dry..??

Do not run your motor dry as it has precision fuel injectors and an electric fuel pump for them. They require gasoline to cool and lubricate themselves and will become noisey and quickly wear the internal parts if not enough fuel is pumped through them. Not only that, but once they are run out of fuel, it takes a while for the system to purge all the air out of the components before the engine will start up again.

Because you are in a humid saltwater environment, it would be best to continually use a fuel stabilizer such as Evinrude's 2+4, install a boat mounted fuel-water separator filter, and use the self-winterize feature when you are done using the engine for a period of time. That way the extra oil will protect the highly polished steel parts and bearings inside the powerhead.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Thank you Admiral, for your insight and reply..  I'll follow your directions to a "T"..  "2 plus 4" additive.. Don't "run her out".. Fog her when she'll be out of business for several days / week..

Thanks again..

Richard William Lord

Highlighted
Skipper

I fog/winterize every time, never sure when will be able to go out again with our crazy Florida weather
Highlighted
Captain

I'm an Evinrude tech on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. None of my customers know how to winterize their engines because none of them ever do it. Winterizing/fogging can protect the crank and bearings from salt air but it also means it will have excess oil at startup which can cause carbon build up and shortened spark plugs and life. I would not recommend winterizing unless the engine was going to sit up for 3 months or more. You can flush the engine through the rear flush port without running it. With the new non vented gas tanks it is a good procedure to unplug the fuel line for storage as the tank can pressurize in the heat.
Techs have found that in addition to 2+4 adding XD-50 or XD-100 to your fuel in a 200:1 ratio will help to keep the fuel pump and injectors lubricated. Just as a side note from experience,,,, the 25/30 Etec will idle for over 15 minutes with the fuel line disconnected.
Highlighted
Captain

So great I live in South Texas, we can fish 340 days out of the year and never have to winterize our engines.

Highlighted
Skipper

RickMCD53

I took the winter cover off of my boat last weekend to get it ready for spring. I noticed that the exterior of my gas tank was soaked with gas (including the floor under it. The tank was super swollen too. I had the cap vent open during storage  but I do not believe those things function like they once did. It’s a 6 gallon portable. There was a small puddle of gas just under the fitting that comes out of the tank. Looks like that’s where it sweats from. I cleaned it up and took the cap off the tank for a little bit and it doesn’t look like it’s sweating anymore. Can this be prevented by disconnecting the fuel hose from the tank and the motor when storing for the winter after the motor shuts off from running  the winterization?

Highlighted
Captain

No, removing the hose from the engine is only to keep the engines fuel system from staying pressurized from tank pressure.
The new style tanks are to keep fuel fumes from escaping. The "vent" is a one way valve that let's air in while running but does not let air out. The best practice is to empty the tank and store it with the vent closed at the end of the season.
Advice for older open vented tanks is to store them full so there is no room for condensation.
New tanks should not leak but some have fuel fittings that swivel and can leak like yours did.