Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Voltage Regulator - 98 200 Ocean Pro - BRP, What did you do?

[ Edited ]

I just bought a new Voltage Regulator/Rectifier for my motor.

The original (OMC) Voltage Regulator (P/N 586271) has (4) connections 

(1 ) large plug - double yellow wires (to power pack)

(1) red wire with eyelet terminal (to starter solonoid)

(1) Purple wire (wire plug) to lower access cover ( plug harness) 

(1) Gray wire (wire plug) to lower access cover  ( plug harness) 

I went on the BRP parts Catalog site for my motor, and ordered the correct  Voltage Regulator (P/N 586271) for a 98 (98200EXTCM) as shown on the OEM parts list.

When it arrived, I discovered that this new Regulator (stamped 586271) has only (3) connections Both the OMC and BRP parts look identical are are stamped with the same P/N number.

The purple wire lead coming from the new Regulator is missing, so now I have the correct part (supposidly) but the BRP unit does not have the Purple (tach pulse?) wire.

I'm afriad to install this, because I will be leaving one wire connection open (there is no purple wire provided on this new to regulator to connect to the empty plug socket on my motor, and I'm afraid it won't work.

Can anyone tell me (Bill) If I should be concerned?  That missing purple lead goes right to the access panel where the harness plugs in, so I know its a supply line, or did the BRP design re-route it somehwere else?

I know this is the right part Number for this motor, it fits the motor , the BRP unit looks a little different underneath (water side) of the Regulator, but it does fit.

I just spent a lot of money on this part, and feel dead in the water.

Thanks!

Erich

Admiral

Re: Voltage Regulator - 98 200 Ocean Pro - BRP, What did you do?

Back in 2000 the regulator was redesigned and the purple sense wire was no longer needed, Dealers received a service bulletin about the change almost 17 years ago.

Tape up and secure the existing wire on the engine harness and be sure it will not short out.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Voltage Regulator - 98 200 Ocean Pro - BRP, What did you do?

Thank you, Bill

I had to hear it from someone who knew about this.

I will proceed with the installation and install.