Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

WOT and. normal operating range

[ Edited ]

I never operate my boat with a WOT? But, I am curios to hear some opinions on WOT operation and what you might consider a normal operating range. Based on some research I have done it looks like the normal operating range for my engine is 4500-5800 RPMs. So, my question is this....Is it better to operate the engine, at crusing speed, in the lower or upper part of the operating RPM range assumming proper trim in any area of the range?

Admiral

Re: WOT and. normal operating range

The full-throttle operating range is used to choose the correct prop for the motor to keep it from over-revving or under-revving which overloads the motor and shortens its life. The rated horsepower is also normally at the mid-point of the rpm range.

As a rule of thumb, an engine performs better and lasts longer if propped just above the peak horsepower rpm.

Once the motor is propped correctly, then the motor will perform as designed all the way through its operating cycle from idle to wide open. You can then run the boat at any speed you wish and know that the motor is fine and that you are getting the best overall running characteristics.

Here is an older propeller guide booklet that explains the propping procedure very well.

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/OperatorsGuidesAttachments/OwnersManuals_EJ/attach/Accessories/76...

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Bill: On my 60hp etec wot is usually in the 5500-5800 rpm range depending on load and conditions. I will generally cruise around 5000 rpm and like to run wot for awhile on the way in, just to let her stretch her legs. Would it be a better practice cruising at a higher rpm? Thanks. D
Admiral

Keep doing what you are doing.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.