Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain
Accepted Solution

Water Pressure Sensor Install Help

I want to get water pressure information sent to my Garmin display.  I have already connected my engine (model & serial in signature) to my Garmin, but to get water pressure, it looks like i need part # 5008640.  If this is correct, looking at the rigging manual on page 64, I interpret the mechanical talk to be: screw in one end of 5008640 to the engine block with teflon sealant on threads and connect the other end to an engine wire harness.  What does that engine harness look like? What color are the wires, since the rigging guide is black/white?  Once connected, do i have to have my dealer do something with the diag software to get the data out of the EMM?

(http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/OperatorsGuidesAttachments/OwnersManuals_EJ/attach/Accessories%5C...

Thank you!

2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Skipper

Re: Water Pressure Sensor Install Help

Not sure of the part number, but fairly simple install. You will need the the evinrude diag program to tell the engine it has this sensor installed. Once that is completed, you will get your PSI. I cant believe that they do not come with it along with a temp gauge. I installed a NMEA gauge and now I see the temp and PSI. Very important with all the seaweed in the water this time of year.

Captain

Thanks cpufixer. I agree, that it seems water psi being tracked by the EMM would aid in any future diagnosis. $190 is a tough pill to swallow to get psi. Add another bill for the dealer to hook up his software and click a button. Haven't decided if i'm gonna do it or not. Thanks for commenting.
Admiral

Yes, your dealer has to program the EMM to recognize the optional water pressure sensor signal and send it to the network.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Please resend any do it yourself manuals or information. Do you have to remove rigging tube, and feed this water pressure sensor through it...?

Mate

Admiral

What is your engine model number and did you purchase the water pressure kit from you dealer and didn't it come with instructions for installation?

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Bill, i finally bought this kit to install. The instructions say to use an Evinrude pipe sealant. Is there a suitable alternative? Plain teflon tape, Permatex threadlocker (medium strength or high temp, etc.) Other?

Admiral

It is not critical. Loctite pipe sealant with teflon is the same as Evinrude's version.

Captain

Bill - what torque strength for the port to block?

"Install hose fitting into accessory water pressure port and tighten securely."