Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Water Pump issue

So have just replaced the water pump on my 200HO 07 Etec, and noticed the tube going up to the powerhead is no longer round as I would have expected. Nor is the end flat. Would this matter or should I rectify these issues before reinstalling the leg.

ONe other point, when I removed the leg, I did not take notice which way the gear selector rod faced. ie. the top of the rod bends and does it bend forward, backwards or sideways?20170114_132450_1484458986559_resized.jpg

Admiral

Re: Water Pump issue

The end of the water tube is not in sharp focus but it appears that it has been slightly deformed by someone jamming the gearcase up into place several times trying to insert the water tube into the water pump housing.

Using a pair of needle nose pliers with rounded outside corners inserted closed into the water tube and carefully twisted back and forth often can reshape the soft copper inner diameter back to round.  Coarse sandpaper or a gently stroked file can reform the outer diameter and smooth out any sharp edges.

Grease the water tube and the pump housing grommet well to facilitate assembly.

The rod offset faces forward and be sure to check and adjust the shift rod height carefully per the service manual before installing the gearcase as it is very critical to proper shifting and long gearcase life.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thanks Bill, have done what you suggested and put it all back together. Water pump working a treat now. Have just completed replacing thermostats and after cleaning up the inner threads of the housing covers and their seats have noticed what seems to be bleed holes in both aforementioned. Are they to be married up on installation? There's nothing in the manual about them at all.
Admiral

The small holes allow the air to bleed out of the block and heads when the motor is first fired up and also allows a bit of water to flow so the thermostats are sensing the engine water temperature on a constant basis.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

So have just had the boat out for a river trial. And while overall the motors performed well, the port engine managed to climb above 85 degrees C between 500 and 1800 rpm. I am assuming that the pressure relief valve opens above 1800 and hence the drop back to 67degC once this has happened. My question is, how to stop the overheating of the port engine? I have as I said earlier, replaced thermostats, water pump and even used saltadex flushing the motor out. I am stumped.
Mate

check the water intakes in the gearcase for debris.
if nothing there then drop the leg again and put garden hose on the copper tube inside the mind section turn on the water and fire it up, see if it gets to temp or over temp on the hose. if so you have a problem in the block or head. if this is the motor with the bent up looking pipe there is your answer, its letting too much pressure past it. just because new stats dont mean they are perfect.. bet you did not test them in hot water before fitting ? personally I would be saying its the water pump or debris. new dont mean its a good hub inside the impellor !!!! had bad ones of those. centre hub of impeller staying on shaft but blades can move around, opposite happens when engine running ... worth a check.
Captain

As a matter of fact, I did check operation of the thermostats and they worked properly. Water is coming out of the telltale very rapidly and have checked the flow through the thermostat housing as well. Looked good. So, as I said, I am stumped.
Captain

What temp are you reading on the starboard? The port side engines always run hotter on G1 engines btw.
Admiral

davidb wrote:
 the port engine managed to climb above 85 degrees C between 500 and 1800 rpm. I am assuming that the pressure relief valve opens above 1800 and hence the drop back to 67degC once this has happened. My question is, how to stop the overheating of the port engine? I have as I said earlier, replaced thermostats, water pump and even used saltadex flushing the motor out. I am stumped.

Proper troubleshooting for an overheating condition requires a water pressure gauge - temporary is OK - to monitor the pressures at all rpm and compare that to the factory specs. The diagnostic software is also needed to determing which cylinderheat and how hot it gets or to discover if the culprit is the EMM getting too hot.

Testing has to be performed in the water, never on a hose.  

In some cases, aerated water reaching the gearcase inlets could be the problem and is sometimes solved by high-flow water screens. In other situations there may be a spring change needed in the pressure relief valve. This is assuming that the pressures are correct and the rest of the cooling system is in good shape.

Captain

Once again, thankyou Bill for your advice and direction. I was watching once again, the Etec videos on Youtube and was made aware of the slow speed pickup at the leading edge of the gearbox. On inspection of this on both outboards, it was obvious they were noticeably clogged with foreign material. 

Now I haven't taken her out since this find, but it stands to reason doesn't it, that if these are blocked even partially then it would cause an increase in operating temperature at slow speed?