Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Water in fuel-problems

[ Edited ]

Last week my Evinrude E-tec 115 (2010) started to work improperly, and right after the instruments indicated water in fuel. Then the engine died. My luck was that this happend close to the harbour, and I was able to manouver the boat, without engine power, to a safe place. 

Took it to the dealer, and he indicated that at least two of my fuel injectors had to replaced. Maybe the two other others, and the fuel pump as well. This will cost me at least 3.000 USD to fix. In a worst case scenario, with new fuel pump, and two more injectors, the price will be over 6.000 USD. A brand new engine, 115 Etec, 2013 is priced to around 16-17.000 USD in Norway. 

I have followed the service schedule, and did what the owners manual tell me to do, but my expenses is by no circumstances covered by Evinrude and the warranty. I have no other choice than to fix the engine, and pay the new parts. 

As I understand, I am not the only one with water in fuel-problems on these engines, and with a huge bill for repairs. 

In the future i will urge Evinrude to tell its dealers and customers, and write in the owners manual, that it is necessary to check the fuelfilter before you use the boat. Each time.

And claim that the fuelfilter is placed somewhere in the boat, where it is easy accessible for inspection.  In my boat it is hidden behind a hatch, far down in the back of the boat. I need to untighten fire screws to find the filter. Inspection is almost not possible, unless you move the mounted fueltank. 

I understand that Evinrude cannot be responsible for what could be bad fuelquality everywhere in the world. On the other hand, they should be responsible for not make customers aware that these engines are extremely sensitive for water.

I have learned it now, the most expensive way.  

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Water in fuel-problems

I am sorry to hear of your experiences with water in the fuel. It is frustrating and expensive to clean up after it.

You should get with your dealer and reposition the boat's fuel filter to a more accessable area. If there is a lot of water in the fuel problems in your area, it may be wise to obtain a Racor filter assembly that uses the clear bowl at the bottom. That  way any trapped water can be drained and the fuel quality observed before heading out with the boat.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Your engine is no more sensitive to water in the fuel than any other clean tech outboard-they all have problems with such a occurance. As for pricing that is very expensive and here in Australia, that is a long way from the place they are made and has a very small population in relationship to Europe, 4 new injectors-if in fact they need to be replaced, there are companies that can clean them easily and a new VST is only $1,400 in our money so in US dollars it owuld be even less. I think you should get some prices becasue something does not add up. the labour to replace all these parts too would be under a few hours-so at $6K US something is strange. 

Mate

Thank you for the answer. 

I certainly will look for a better place to put the water separator, easy accesible. 

Just to make things right about prices. One injector is priced to around 900 USD each, in Norway.

And it is just a couple of hours to replace it, I am told.

Where can I find companies that could clean my injectors?  Please let me know.

Mate

Yea I just Bought a new E Tech 150 a little over a month ago after only having it 3 weeks and taking it out a few times it already broke down I'm highly disappointed I have spent around 60.000 in two years on brp products but if this is not resolved i will be done with them... dealer is saying air in oil injection system i never even let the reservoir get below 1/4. tank... Just seems to me like there should be some kind of compensation this is ridiculous spend 40 k I
On a boat to sit at the dealer ..... it's already been in the shop 2 weeks ...
Skipper

I just had to spend 1200 on a fuel pump for a 130hp etec with 60hrs because i let it sit in the shed to long... and it leaks 2 stroke oil out the air intake now as well. I only put a new engine on for trouble free/pull out the shed and go boating. Crap fuel these days bla bla the old 115 would go no matter what if you turned it over enough
Skipper