Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Water pump problems with 25/30 hp E-tecs

Here is a question for Bluewater Bill.My E30Dtel11  SN 05312784 runs perfect and is well takin care of as decribed

in past posts using XD100 at the TCW3 setting and 2+4 at all times. There seems to be a problem with the water pumps

on these engines as per the service bullitan of last summer which I have read. Due to my involvemant with helping

with the wildfires out here in Colorado and the lack of usable water out here these days my engine only has about 21 hous so far. Should I try to get the improved water pump/thermostat springs installed under warranty or just leave it alone

since it runs well at this point.  Also when my engine reaches the 3 year point next year if it has only 50 hrs or so by then

must I have that complete 300 hr service done which costs about $700 here. I want to keep the engine in tip top shape

but can't see spending that kind of money if not needed.

Thank you coastalguy

Captain

Re: Water pump problems with 25/30 hp E-tecs

[ Edited ]

Water pump service is considered "normal maintenance" and is not usually covered under warranty. The purpose of the bulletin was to point out the importance of replacing the springs for the thermostat and pressure relief valve, when a new water pump is installed. It was not a "recall" or "warranty notice".

In the unlikely event you experience an engine overheat (for any reason), don't ignore the engine warning system. Stop the engine and allow it to cool, or get a tow back to the ramp - continued operation in an overheat condition is what damages engines.

Regarding the 3 year/300 hour service; if you have the BEST extended service plan, you must have the service done, or you risk loosing the benefit of the program. If you do not have the BEST plan, you could always DIY the service items...

Hope this helps,

-John

The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent BRP's positions, strategies or opinions.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

I hope my colleague John answered the main part of the question to your satisfaction.

Even though the running time on your engine is not very much, it is now in its third year and should have the servicing performed as required by the manufacturer. The water pump, gear oil, and filters should automatically be replaced but you may not need to purchase new sparkplugs if there is little or no wear on them.

Talk to your dealer or to other dealers as $700 for servicing your 30hp sounds very high. The items that need attention are listed in your owners manual.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

What is the "BEST" extended warranty you speak of..?? I bought my 2010, 30hp ETEC, 2nd hand.. It was purchased in April of 2010 by the original owner and he got it with a 5 year warranty..

The certified / authorized mechanic and shop just replaced the waterpump and impeller due to failure.. Should the springs for the thermostat and pressure relief valve also be replaced..??

Thanks for your input, guidance and reply..
Richard
Admiral

Richardwlord,

Yes, your dealer should have been aware of the thermostat spring and water pump bulletin and should have replaced the springs, but that depends on the model and serial number  of your engine. Talk to your dealer and discuss the bulletin with him or her and ask what part number for the impeller or the water pump kit was used.

The BEST warranty is the additional 2 years of service coverage that starts after the initial 3 year warranty expires. It is mandatory that a 3 year or 300 hour service has been completed as mentioned in the owners manual. See your dealer for changing the engine registration and remaining warranty into your name.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thank you for your reply, Bluewater Bill.. I'll call the owner / certified mechanic that just replaced the impeller and waterpump.. Keeping fingers crossed that he did replace the thermostat spring as well, even though he didn't mention it.. I'll try asking what part number for the impeller or the water pump kit was used.. But, I've found (not just with this owner / mechanic, but others in this area), that they don't like being asked alot of questions.. They get real defensive..

I was told not once, but twice by the current mechanic that "this water pump and impellor is only being replaced this time by the factory, under warranty.. If it goes out again, it's at your cost.."

What's up with that..?? If it's under warranty and it goes out again---- hey, it's under warranty.. Am I right..??

Also, the guy had mentioned that my 3 year warranty expires this March, 2013.. That the following 2 years is a $25.00 service fee for any work performed if any parts prematurely give out / break down.. He did mention that he's waiting for the paperwork to "come in" for me to sign, concerning the "changing the engine registration and remaining warranty into my name"..

I think it's best to give him a call tomarrow about the part numbers and water pump kit and the registration papers..

Again, thank you for your help and direction..

Richard William Lord

Admiral

With the 3 years up in March, you will need to have the 3 yr. service done around that time to keep the extended service agreement in force. At least with your new water pump, if it is the correct one, that part of the service is already taken care of.

Skipper

I bought a 25 e-tec and had it put on my boat friday.  I drove it today for the 1st time (3 days later).  The water pump quit after driving about 1 mile and the motor went to SAFE mode - basically stranding me on the lake.  I have heard such good things about these motors...  But, im not feeling it.  Taking it back tomorrow.  I should ask for my 15 year old Merc back.

not real happy.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry to hear of your experience with an Evinrude E-TEC.

Was this a brand new motor or a used one?  What are the model and the serial numbers?

Has your dealer determined the cause of the overheating?

Skipper

didn't see your post until now.  i sent you a private message about something else this morning.  Im new the e-nation so im still learning.

end of the story was that it was a water impeller - it is a brand new motor.  The dealer said the fins were completly worn off.  He replaced it and I have not had a problem since.  Funny thing is that I ran into another angler last week with the same motor and had the exact same thing happen.  He said that there was a problem with a batch of these motors.  I guess we must have gotten one out of the same lot.  model # E25DGTLAB, Serial Number 05448554