Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: Water pump problems with 25/30 hp E-tecs

Had you run the motor using "flush muffs" and not taping off the vent holes just under the anti-ventilation plate?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I ran it with the muffs on it after i got it home from the test run to confirm my suspicions about the water pumping. and yes, tape on both sides of motor over those holes above where the muffs are.  The boat was on the dealers lot for 3-4 days before i could go get it.  He thought that maybe someone came by at night and turned it on and let it run on accident or on purpose and that casued the problem.  I thought that was the case until I meat the other boater last week that had the exact same problem.  anyway.  we are all good.

I installed  wedges between the jack plate and motor.  im going to run it soon and see how it does.  I have trim tabs i can put on it. but don't really want to if i don't have to.  thanks for the responses.   

Mate

I have run my 25 etec with flush muffs and never knew I was supposed to tape up those holes. Im sure that waw not good

Admiral

@yarddog wrote:

I have run my 25 etec with flush muffs and never knew I was supposed to tape up those holes. Im sure that waw not good

Your operator's guide has the instructions and an illustration about taping up the holes and using a flusher on the motor. For a 2012 model, it starts on page 54.

Using Gearcase Flushing Device

1) Place the outboard in an area with good
drainage.

2) Temporarily cover the two small auxiliary
water inlet holes on each side of the gearcase
with heavy tape to insure enough water
travels to the powerhead from the water
intakes. Water can drain from auxiliary inlets,
resulting in engine overheat Remember to

uncover the holes after flushing the
engine.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks. I just dropped off the etec for its service at the dealer and pointed out that I had been flushing the motor without covering those wholes. The dealer said it wasn't neccessary, so now I'm going to have to point this out to them and make sure they do it right.

Mate

We have had our E tech for two years I have put three water pumps in mine.  I don't know what the problems are with water pumps but I have never had a motor do this before.   I have always purchased Yamaha and never had any issues with water Pumps.  I am writing this because I am having water pump issues again now.  I'm going to have to get the boat into the dealer next week.    Please message me if you have any suggestions   

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Please tell me the model and serial number on your motor.

What did the impellers look like when they were replaced -  melted, dismembered, grooved or worn?

Do you ever run the motor using flusher muffs on the gearcase?

Skipper

Mate

Hi Eric,
I have a brand new 30 and it has the overheat problem too. Serviced at dealer,ran fine once, overheats and returned to dealer for repairs again...frustrated. Did you overcome your obstacles?
Highlighted
Admiral

What is the complete model number of the motor?

Has the exhaust megaphone been inspected for heat distortion as explained in an earlier factory service bulletin in cases of an overheat condition?

Do you use a flusher muff on the gearcase and flush the motor at all?

Is the overboard water tell-tale restricted with a quick-disconnect hose fitting by chance?