Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Re: Water pump problems with 25/30 hp E-tecs

After 20 years of faithful service from my 1995 Evinrude 25 HP it started giving me a little trouble. Im 66 yrs old and I decided to get a new 25hp E-TEC Model # E25DGTEAF electric start because I didn't want to get stranded out on the water and I wanted the ease of starting . I took delivery in the spring on 2017.For health reasons I haven't been able to get out as much as much as I wanted too. Last spring the motor would go into safe mode a couple of times, and after a few minutes it would restart and off I went. This spring I planned a 7 day fishing trip. That didn't happen. After being out on the water for less than an hour it went into safe mode and I hobbled back to shore. I took it to my Evinrude dealer and he told me it was overheating because the impellers on the water pump had failed. The engine has only 39 hours on it. Are you kidding me ! How does this happen ? Apparently I don't use the motor enough. The impellers became brittle and broke. So it required a new water pump that the dealer tells me is not coverd under warranty. Why hasn't Evinrude adderessed this problem. I see posts going back to 2013 with the same problems. I am so dissappointed with this purchase. I phoned BRP and the rep said she wasn't aware of any water pump failures on the 25HP Etec motors. I told her to go on the internet and read about them.  I asked the dealer if a different impeller was available to avoid this same problem and to my surprise the answer is no. I thought I did enough homework before I purchased this motor, but  I guess I didn't. I'm not feeling real good about going out on the water with this problem waiting to happen again. Unless Evinrude addresses this issue I wouldn't recommend this motor to anybody. 

Admiral

One thing that can cause short impeller life is flushing the motor using muffs but not taping off the holes on each side underneath the anti-ventilation plate.

If your impeller was not melted or damaged from running dry, you may want to contact Evinrude After Sales and make them aware of your experience. Include the motor serial number, dealer name, and a brief history of the motor and send to  http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thank you BluewaterBill for getting back to me. I winterized the motor twice and nowhere ( including you tube ) did it mention to tape off the holes underneath the anti-ventilation plate. I spoke with a warranty rep at BRP and she was very cautious with her words and indicated she didn't have any knowledge whatsoever with the water pump problems. She took my serial number and came back to me saying there are no notes re water pump issues with these motors. I felt she knew about the issues but are told not  to discuss the problem with the customer. She told me to go through the dealer where I bought the motor for any further assistance. I'll send an email to BRP with the address you provided. I'll be very curious to see what their responce will be. Tks Bill. I'll keep you posted.

Captain

May not be a new impeller but there is an improved cup in water pump kit #5008972 to extend impeller life. This kit was released about a year ago. You dealer should could contact tech help for advice on improved parts or warranty coverage.
Mate

Good morning Rickmcd53. Was this kit recommended by Evinrude ? Is there a bullitin # I can tell my dealer to reference ?

Captain

It is not accurate to say that water pump kit #5008972 was recommended by Evinrude or if there was a bulliten on it. That water pump kit with an improved cup design replaced the old water pump kit over 6 months ago. The old kits are no longer available so the new kit is the only one available for water pump service.