Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
Accepted Solution

Way too much oil consumption on my new 200hp g2

Just bought a new tritoon with a new 200hp g2. When I picked up from dealer it was suppose to be full of all fluids. Ran out of gas at .7 hours. Would not have known because dealer did not set up any gauges. At 1.7 hours got low oil alarm again no gauges setup so do not know how much oil dealer had put in initially. Went and bought a gallon of xd-100 and put it in. At 3.2 hours got low oil alarm again after driving about 10 miles down river. Took back to dealer to get all gauges set up and look at oil consumption. They wrote it off as more oil for break in and they had sent me out with wrong prop originally because they didn’t have correct prop in stock. When I picked it up they said all gauges were calibrated and I watched them fill it with 2 gallons of oil. This was at 3.2 hours. Take out the next weekend and all gauges seemed to be right except water pressure gauge inop. Oil gauge never budged off full so I thought everything was better. Though fuel gauge never moved of full and I used about 20 gal of 52 gal tank. Now we are at 9.8 hours. Took back to dealer to get water pressure gauge and fuel gauge corrected. Picked up next weekend and drove about 15 miles oil gauge went from full to half. Drove another 15 miles and got low oil warning at 11.2 hours. The dealer said when initial low oil beep comes you have about an hour of oil left But I had about ten minutes from low oil warning to no oil/no oil pressure/shut down mode. Got towed in for third time in three weekends with new boat!!! So in 11.2 hours I have went through three gallons of oil plus whatever amount dealer put in for initial set up. The engine doesn’t smoke, there is no oil film on top of water, and when you take cover off everything looks clean and connected. At this point I’m going to give the dealer one more chance but I’m beyond frustrated and any thoughts from the experts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Captain

Re: Way too much oil consumption on my new 200hp g2

I can understand your frustrations with a new product not operating properly. The various systems on the 2.7L G2 engines is new to many of us dealer techs. I have set up 8 so far and still refer to the "Rigging & Setup Guide" on each install.
Here are a few things that may help.
A new engine will " double oil" for roughly the first 5 hours of running time above 2000 rpm. An offshore boat the runs open water could complete the break in oil cycle in less than 6 hours, yet a boat that cruised slowly in a lake could take much longer to complete the cycle.
An engine with an incorrect propeller can be under a heavy load and will use more oil to protect itself. Wide open throttle rpm should be above 5500.
The oil level gauge is accurate only when the engine is vertical.
The water pressure gauge requires the installation of an optional water pressure sending unit.
The fuel gauge connection method varies depending on which control and gauge is installed. Once connected the fuel gauge has to be calibrated.
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

The engine will use extra oil for about 2 hours when running above 2000 rpm.  The oil tank fill spout holds quite a bit of oil if you fill up to the cap and the level sender displays only specific percentages, it is not a continuously changing reading like most fuel gauges.  It does take a while to use up the oil in the fill spout and the upper area of the tank before the gauge shows below 100%.

To determine if everything is operating as it should. Fill the boat tank and the oil tank to the top and run the boat keeping track of the hours and the gallons used and gallons added to the tank. From those figures you should have an average fuel - oil usage that you can refer to.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

So after the first weekend they replaced the prop with a three blade viper 14 3/4 x 19 part number 018038a but on Evinrude website it suggests a 4 blade Rx4 prop for triple log pontoon. The boat is a 27 Starcraft tritoon. Any suggestions here? I know the right prop makes a big difference. The owners manual says I should be able to get to 5600-6400 rpm and as of now with 4 people on boat 5200 rpm is max.
Also I will start keeping track of oil and gas usage so I can get a better number but my rough approximation at this point is 3 plus gallons of oil to 60 gallons of fuel in 10.7 hours. I know it over oils the first couple hours but it still seems excessive. My dealer and other people that have posted have said after about 20 hours their oil consumption went way down so I hope all is well. Just not excited about owning a 50k plus “lemon”.
Skipper

Also why does the water pressure gauge not come with it? Seems crazy to be an extra option
Captain

[ Edited ]

The recommended operating rpm range for this motor is 5400-6000 rpm. 5200 is too low. Overpropping an engine will cause excess oil consumption. You should shoot for at least 5600 rpm, which means you need to reduce the pitch of your prop.

A viper on a boat like that is a very poor choice. You need an rx4 or a rebel. They don't make a 17 inch rx4 I would suggest a 16 inch rx4 or a 17 inch rebel, based on your viper results.

I think water pressure gauges have recently become very popular, I agree, all manufactures should include one, but they don't.

Admiral

A water pressure gauge is an optional item on all makes of outboard motors, not just Evinrude.

An RX4 prop that allows your engine to turn up close to the 6000 rpm redlines with a light load would be the ideal situation for a large pontoon boat like yours. That way when you load it up with people and gear, the motor will not be lugging or struggling to keep it on plane.

Propping is trial and error but as mentioned already, a 16" RX4 would be a good starting point.

5200 rpm max is overloading the motor and the computer controlled oiling system is adding more to help protect the engine. That is why consumption appears to be excessive.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for the input
Skipper

So picked up the boat Friday from dealer AGAIN. Started Friday with a full tank of gas and oil. The boat showed 11.3 hours. Pulled boat out on Sunday with 14.1 hours. Put 32.099 gallons of fuel to get it back to full and one gallon of oil. So in 2.8 hours I went through a gallon of oil. The dealership keeps telling me when I hit 20-30 hours the oil consumption will slow down. I am just having a hard time believing anything they say at this point. I really just want a new boat or my money back. If it uses this much oil I will go broke running this thing!
Admiral

You have to get the rpm where it should be first. Insist on it