Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Way too much oil consumption on my new 200hp g2

A few years ago a boating magazine ran an article comparing the older G1 style E-TEC and the oil consumption to  equivalent 4-strokes and their 20hr and 100 hours required servicing costs. A  normal 4-stroke 100 hour service consists of a lot more than just an oil change and they get more expensive as more items need replacing over time.

If I remember correctly the Evinrude E-TEC was quite a bit less expensive to operate in the long run. You may have to do some searching for the article as I do not remember the magazine or the date of publication.

With reported 100 hour servicings of 4-strokes averaging around 5-600 dollars, plus winterizing costs if needed, the E-TEC G2 is not more costly to operate including its oil consumption. Don't forget that some 4-strokes recommend 50 hour oil changes with extended trolling times or with high speed operation along with 89 octane fuel which also adds significantly to the cost.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Many thanks you have given me some actual figures to work on....
Highlighted
Captain

yes 2 gals.65hrs including double oil for brakein. Not sure how many hours before motor changed from breakin but Id estimate between idling no wake zones and running over 2000 rpm about 10 hrs to complete breakin. I actually used just under 2gals. maybe 1 and 3/4. Anyway I hope this info helps.
Highlighted
Skipper

Yes helps a lot thanks, it confirms my figures of 28.4 hours per gallon, based on what a dealer's figured of 20 litres of fuel at 20 knots for a 200 hp G2..he couldn't give me oil stats said they were negligible...but at 130$ a gallon in the UK it's certainly a running cost factor..
I may still buy the G2 but there are doubts in my mind now as I feel Evinrude has tried to hide the oil costs in their statistics and now wondering why the other big companies has not followed suit.
Highlighted
Captain

I believe the old mix ratio was 50 to 1 but i believe the new G2s are much better on consumption than that as they are measured by computer. Dang they bend you over in the UK on oil price as i get 3 gals of Evenrudes best xd100 for $139.00 delivered to my home. I have to tell you so far im loving my G2 it will top end at 50mph at WOT and sniffs fuel when trolling around 6mph and im getting around 4-5 mpg at 25mph.

Highlighted
Captain

BTW I dont work for Evenrude or get compensated in any way Im just giving you my opinion. I hope she continues to run this good for many years. Only time will tell
Highlighted
Captain

My dealer sells 1 gallon of x100 in bulk for $ 30.00 

Highlighted
Captain

speckman, i want your deal!

Highlighted
Skipper

[ Edited ]

Running 2018 G1 225 on a 228 Grady White.
Depending on speed I use around 1 gallon of oil per 50 gallons of gas. That is almost all running around 4000 rpms.

Highlighted
Captain

bigo, you numbers work out to a 50:1 ratio which indicates your engine is running under a high load. You need to check your full throttle rpm.