Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: Way too much oil consumption on my new 200hp g2

Bigo,

Give us the details of your boat, motor, prop, weight, top speed and top rpm, please.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

So given all the figures supplied I have calculated in the UK where petrol is around 7$ a imperial gallon and two stroke oil is 130$ .....when taking into account burning oil as well as petrol as fuel consumption the cost is 15% higher, which blows the evinrude fuel economy figures out of the water in my opinion. Makes it very similar to 4 stroke costs.

The torque figures are impressive though and.maintenance costs..I am still. undecided what to buy so will seek unbiased opinion.

Captain

An important factor to consider is dealer service and location.
Highlighted
Skipper

[ Edited ]

Boat is a 2001, 228 Seafare Grady White.

2018 225 Evenrude Etec (Gen 1)

Boat is about 3200 lbs.

Motor 518 lbs

Rebel 15.5 X 17 SST prop.

Top RPM 5600.

Top speed 46 with 60 gallons of fuel, 10 gallons of water 2 adults and gear.

Captain

Pathfinder, go price out your other choice and have them put down in writing what your 20,50 100 hr cost are. Then you can really get an idea of maintenance cost.  Those are required for warranty. When they tell you 6,7,800 for a check up then compare. You can buy a lot of oil at those prices. IMO it won’t even be close.  I was quoted similar numbers for service on a Yamaha 115 . I spent 130$ U.S. dollars for the oil, 3 gal, for 60 hrs running time including break in. Those are approximate numbers while hours were in rough challenging offshore conditions and fuel economy was outstanding and I’m a little over propped. It will improve after repropping. I still have 2 more years before I have my first service interval. G1 135. 

Skipper

At least you can get a straight answer from your dealer if you buy 4 stroke on running costs and not some hugely variable figure regarding 2stroke oil consumption . The scary stories here seem to be blamed a lot on unsuitable prop sizes, surely the Evinrude agents who sell you the engines in the first place supply you with the correct size prop to suit your boat If not then I would not be happy about their competence about any future service, guarantee work etc. This has given me something else to consider if I go ahead and buy one...2 major potential deal busters to consider in my opinion.

Captain

To give a point of view from an Evinrude tech on prop selection.
I can install an engine on your boat, take a "best guess" at prop selection and go test it on the water. Top engine rpm data should indicate if I need to go up or down in prop pitch.
This is the process that should be done by all dealers.
If I sell an installed engine at a $500 profit and my labor time is $100 per hour then how much time can I afford to give to water testing?
If the customer then adds 100 gallons of fuel, gear and 6 people on the boat a different prop would be needed.
Packaged boats and motors are often rigged and sold for average load and use.
It is wise when engine shopping to discuss set up, rigging, and water testing with each dealer.

E-TEC engines and 4 stroke engines will burn more oil under a heavy load.
I have seen quite a few boats on the water out for a family cruise running at a leisurely 20 mph, bow in the air and plowing a huge wake.
Captain

Their are 2 cost involved, running and maintenance cost.  Figure 50:1 and if it’s better than that than you have a savings on your estimate. That would be worst case scenario. That should be something you can compute as a base line. Oil is cheaper than maintenance cost. That’s why I said to get estimates on your services. You shouldn’t dismiss those very large cost either.

@pathfinderstu wrote:

At least you can get a straight answer from your dealer if you buy 4 stroke on running costs and not some hugely variable figure regarding 2stroke oil consumption . The scary stories here seem to be blamed a lot on unsuitable prop sizes, surely the Evinrude agents who sell you the engines in the first place supply you with the correct size prop to suit your boat If not then I would not be happy about their competence about any future service, guarantee work etc. This has given me something else to consider if I go ahead and buy one...2 major potential deal busters to consider in my opinion.

Skipper

HI Taking. In service costs into the calculation of daily fuel running costs is not the same in the US as in Europe as oil prices are very much higher in Eu and service charges lower...besides you have to know the oil consumption figures which is what have been trying to find out all along. For example it seems you are paying one third of the price for two stroke oil.

@Realfun1 wrote:

Pathfinder, go price out your other choice and have them put down in writing what your 20,50 100 hr cost are. Then you can really get an idea of maintenance cost.  Those are required for warranty. When they tell you 6,7,800 for a check up then compare. You can buy a lot of oil at those prices. IMO it won’t even be close.  I was quoted similar numbers for service on a Yamaha 115 . I spent 130$ U.S. dollars for the oil, 3 gal, for 60 hrs running time including break in. Those are approximate numbers while hours were in rough challenging offshore conditions and fuel economy was outstanding and I’m a little over propped. It will improve after repropping. I still have 2 more years before I have my first service interval. G1 135. 

Skipper

So at 50 TO 1 As mentioned above and thanks for that.
Equates to (Given my boats consumption for the G 2 Was 20knots uses 20 litres of petrol PH.)
So every 2.5 Hour running at 20 knts uses 1 ltr. Of oil
Costing around 20$ a ltre in the uk.

My head hurts with all these figures and I hope my. maths is right never my strong point.....think I will go up back to sailing ..haha.