Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Re: Way too much oil consumption on my new 200hp g2

I must disagree with your statement.  Fuel economy is a measure of fuel consumed per unit of distance.  Oil doesn't enter into that data

ElderSparky

· Was your question answered? Help others find the answer by clicking "Accept as Solution".
· See a great post? Give a Kudo kudo.pngto show your appreciation!
Highlighted
Skipper

At the end of the day oil is consumed along with the fuel consumption and must be taken into account in running costs when compared with 4 stroke engines or the end results are very misleading in favour of the 2 stroke.....I was wondering about the oil stats were that's how I came across this web site...I am seriously considering buy a 200hp eventide 2 stroke but now having 2nd thoughts because of the deception in my opinion.

Highlighted
Admiral

Oil cost is a maintenance item and should be calculated as a separate category just like filter and oil changes, belt replacements, valve adjustments, internal engine anode replacements, winterizing costs, 20 hr. checks, and annual or 100 hour dealer service charges as required by many 4-stroke outboards.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

How an you say 2 stroke oil is a maintenance issue , that's absolute nonsense it's a crucial part of the normal running fuel costs on a two stroke engine and in the UK costs £ 130 a gallon which makes it a very high factor. Are you an Evinrude sales man by any chance and can you give me any statistics on the oil consumption....the only ones I have found on the subject are scary ones here.
Highlighted
Captain

15.JPGI recently purchased a ETEC G2 200HO to repower my 22 chris craft and have about 65 hrs on her now.The dealer filled the oil res with 2 gal. I added 1 gal at about 25 hrs and toped it with another 3/4 gal after my last outing. I have used less than 2 gal. so far in 65 hrs. including breakin. she dont smoke and out runs the jetskis in my area.

Highlighted
Skipper

Sorry don't quite understand you figures, are you saying overall you used 2gals. Of oil to 65 hours running= 1 gal to 32.5 hrs.running.?
Thanks for your post am finding it very difficult to find info on the two stroke oil consumption..

Highlighted
Admiral

@pathfinderstu wrote:

Thanks for your post am finding it very difficult to find info on the two stroke oil consumption..

Oil consumption is not the same as the old "mix the oil and gas" or "oil injected" 2-strokes. It is more efficient. The E-TEC G2 is designed for minimal oil usage plus the EMM monitors the engine parameters and commands the oil pump to deliver only the amount needed at that moment.  The engine block is designed with check valves to recirculate residual oil through the motor which also lessens consumption.

If you want to measure consumption, fill the oil tank and the fuel tank and run your boat normally until the oil tank runs very low and keeping track of added fuel. From there you fill the oil tank and total the fuel usage and do the math.

A few things can affect oil consumption. An overpropped motor will use more oil as the EMM "sees" the motor is overloaded and struggling.  An oil low pressure alarm will send the pump into overdrive to try to remove any air bubble trapped in the system and to protect the motor as much as it can, the same goes for an overheated condition. Also extra oil is delivered on hard acceleration where a bit more lubrication is needed, at startup, and at revs above the 6000 rpm redline.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Your very knowledgeable but your missing my point if you can give petrol consumption statistics then surely.you can give oil consumption ones...I have not bought one yet but was seriously considering to do so but have been scared off by the original post and the general lack of information regarding oil consumption ...to me as a potential buyer yourself and Evenrude are giving me the imression of trying to hide it .Untill i get some facts on the subject i will not be purchasing...
Highlighted
Skipper

Highlighted
Captain

The problem with trying to publish oil consumption specs is the variable ratio oil strategy and usage can vary widely depending on boat setup and load. A pair of 300's on an offshore boat running at 6000 rpm, or a 150 hp on a ski boat with mostly hard acceleration will use more oil than a 200 hp family boat that mostly cruises at 3500 rpm. As a note on 4 strokes, the first two boats mentioned above would recommend oil changes every 50 hours.
My estimate on my G1 engine is an average of a 150:1 gas to oil ratio.